The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hike2fish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM

hike2fish is on a distinguished road
Default South Boulder Creek Flow Bump

Hey All,

Looks like flows were finally bumped up in SBC. Anyone have experience fishing it right after the winter low flows? I assume it takes the fish a little bit to get used to actually having more than 10cfs.

Will larger bugs get kicked up or would it still be small winter midge fishing?

Thanks,

Chris (first post!)
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: South Boulder Creek Flow Bump

Congrats on your first post!

Wow that is a big jump. Ought to work loose quite a bit of sediments and crud. Presumably, it won't change the stream biology much this time of year - unless of course there's something I don't know. Give it a few days to clear if it hasn't already and go fool em with midges and worms.

Funny, was just looking at the S. Platte Gauge at Trumbull. Looks like a heart monitor: USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06701900 SO. PLATTE R. BLW BRUSH CR. NR TRUMBULL CO

If you do go, let us know if you get into anything.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM

platte_fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike2fish View Post
Hey All,

Looks like flows were finally bumped up in SBC. Anyone have experience fishing it right after the winter low flows? I assume it takes the fish a little bit to get used to actually having more than 10cfs.

Chris (first post!)
Howdy, I used to live in Boulder and my buddy is still in Louisville. I've done a lot of fishing in SBC, but I can't really answer your question without more info on the actual flow amount. It's still very much winter so unless there is a big rise in temperature creating a big melt it should be standard Colorado winter fishing. I would certainly stick to a double nymph rig with very small flies. One of my favorite rigs is a glow bug (egg yarn pattern) as an attractor followed by a size 20 to 22 blood midge (red midge pattern).

If the flows are actually high, as in looks murky like the spring melt, then itll simply be tough. The spring melt brings the murky water and makes it hard to find the good holding spots for the fish. But, again winter is still in full swing so I'm assuming the water is still clear, just a bit more of it. Everywhere in Colorado likes small bugs. I'm not saying you can't catch things on bigger flies, but as a general rule size 18 flies are as big as you really want to go. That being said I've had lots of luck with 16's, but they are really too big no matter what time of year you are fishing. The only time this rule changes is if you can't wait til the spring melt is over and want to try your luck on the heavy flow/murky waters. Then a larger pattern may be the only way to get noticed. I pretty much don't fish during the spring melt, because of how unlikely it is to get results.

Another nymph combo I like is a size 18 hare's ear followed by a small (20-22) black midge or zebra midge, though my go to winter setup is definitely the egg pattern followed by the blood midge for SBC and the other smaller creeks.

Last edited by platte_fisher; 02-23-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM

hike2fish is on a distinguished road

I've been meaning to put up a TR since we spent a day on SBC in Febuary but it keeps slipping my mind so here's at it.

Two of us fished from below the dam for about 5 hours - had some crazy snow storms roll in and out throughout the day and thought that would keep a lot of people away but we showed up at 9AM to find 3 cars already in the lot. No worries - plenty of water to fish and I always like seeing a few other die hard guys out on bad weather days in the winter. You know it won't be your sunny day crowd at Deckers (ready to combat fish) but true searchers looking for solitude and a bend in the rod to break the still of winter. There's a shared connection with the rest of the fools out there in the snow - a mutual understanding to tread lightly, give space and not break the peace we find in winter fishing.

Water was higher than I had seen it since last summer so there was a lot more holding water and the fish were loving it. We found a number of them stacked up mid-winter style in the deeper pools but the fun part was finding the ones that had already taken advantage of the higher flows and moved into new feeding lanes.

We hiked down to the first foot bridge and fished out way up. After fishing the hole below the bridge we came up to the trail to work upstream. Our tracks had already been covered up by the new snow and we found some BIG mountain lion tracks walking right up the trail close to where we had been fishing. BE CAREFUL in that canyon. I always tell friends not to bring dogs in there because you are just asking for trouble.

Hooked up on a variety of midges, eggs, worms - all the standard winter stuff. Even took one on a small sparkle streamer in the slack water.

All in all a great day even with a few snow showers and although a few cars were in the lot we only saw 2 others fishing the whole day. Pulled out a good mix of browns and bows. The picks of me was probably the biggest fish of the day. It's no hog but the SBC rainbows are truly beautiful fish.

Click the image to open in full size.
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day out! I fished that stretch last summer, definitely lower water but saw some nice fish and caught some too. More anglers around though.