The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default North Platte in April?

I have some job training for three days the second week of April. Is the North Platte fishable during this time? Or is there a bunch of run off? Also, I will be traveling up there with a state vehicle, so I won't be able to drive around, so if anybody wants to join up, i'd be willing to give you a bit of gas money to show me around the fishing in Casper for a couple of evening. Any information is greatly appreciated. Also, is a 5 wt heavy enough, or should I bring an 8 wt? Fly setup would be great too.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Platte in April?

It will fish just great, no worry about runoff. The North Platte near Casper sits below the Alcova dam. Usually they will do a spring flush sometime in the middle of March to help remove silt in the river and help with the spring spawn. You could look on a USGS flow site to see when they typically bump the flows from the winter rate of around 550 CFS to the summer rate of around 2,200 CFS as that will impact wading, but I think you will still be in the winter flows, but not sure. The best fishing is probably going to be in the Grey Reef section up near the dam, about 30 miles from Casper. We have a couple different members who live in Casper, maybe they will chime in. I might be able to come over for a float if you are up for that and have the time.

Larry

Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Don't know if I can be of much help here, but I'll offer this. This last Christmas, my son and I fished the N. Platte east of Rawlins toward Seminoe dam. It was about 17F that day and river was frozen except in the middle. 550cfs looked about right. I can't imagine wading when it's 2200 cfs so be careful! I was using a 5wt 8.5ft rod and nymphs. Only had two fish on but lost them both. I really felt under-gunned with the 5wt. I'm rigging my son up now with a 7wt, 9.5 rod. I plan on trying them again this summer(?) Going to fish the "magic mile" and grey reef, I hope. Good luck, Glen

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

That's "miracle mile", not "magic mile"
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Unless you want to you might not need to leave Casper. Only fished that river once and I was right in town. Landed some smaller fish and lost a MONSTER brown, really disappointing because I had gathered a small crowd of about 10 people watching me from the walking path.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

SdDryFly: Sent you a PM.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

The river should be ice-free in the town by then and there are plenty of big fish to be had in Casper itself although I would stay upstream of the white water zone in the park. There was much contamination of the land that is now the park and golf course and although it has been cleaned up it doesn't seem to fish as well. I have had a 3lb cutbow just off Robertson Road so I know the river is full of fish almost anywhere.
As regards rod weight, it is all about the wind. I always have a 7 and a 5 with me. If it is windy I use the 7. Yes there are big fish in that river and you should not go too light with your leader because there are big fish and I have no reason to think the fish are spooky.