The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Winter fishing, could use some help

so i've made my move from CA to CO 2 weeks ago. and already got a chance to fish 2 days
1 yesterday in South Platte River (Deckers/Trumbull area) and 1 last weekend up in Blue River in Silverthorne

SouthPlatte River was a nice warm 30-35F day. (there was alot of ice melt flow, so that was often in a way of a good cast)
Silverthrone was 20 w/out any sun and windy, so i was frozen.
both days i saw 1 fish in each river (they were huge ) but both days i got no bites.
now i am new to winter fishing, so could be just me
i've been using: Prince Nymph, Hares Ear, WD40's, Brassies, Zebra Midges (diff colors) Copper John's .
what am i doing wrong?? what's the secret?
or is this how things really are in the winter, super slow?

o and while so far i only bought day passes, im waiting for April 1st to get my season pass. (im still out of state so didnt want to drop $59 for few days of fishing in this season) but come APRIL 1st i do hope to get out there every weekend or so, maybe even some afternoons during the week.
so if anyone around Silverthorne (i snowboard up in Keystone alot) or down in Denver wants to let me tag along with you for some fishing, that would be cool
thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Winter fishing, could use some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
so i've made my move from CA to CO 2 weeks ago. and already got a chance to fish 2 days
1 yesterday in South Platte River (Deckers/Trumbull area) and 1 last weekend up in Blue River in Silverthorne

SouthPlatte River was a nice warm 30-35F day. (there was alot of ice melt flow, so that was often in a way of a good cast)
Silverthrone was 20 w/out any sun and windy, so i was frozen.
both days i saw 1 fish in each river (they were huge ) but both days i got no bites.
now i am new to winter fishing, so could be just me
i've been using: Prince Nymph, Hares Ear, WD40's, Brassies, Zebra Midges (diff colors) Copper John's .
what am i doing wrong?? what's the secret?
or is this how things really are in the winter, super slow?

o and while so far i only bought day passes, im waiting for April 1st to get my season pass. (im still out of state so didnt want to drop $59 for few days of fishing in this season) but come APRIL 1st i do hope to get out there every weekend or so, maybe even some afternoons during the week.
so if anyone around Silverthorne (i snowboard up in Keystone alot) or down in Denver wants to let me tag along with you for some fishing, that would be cool
thanks
Head to Pueblo. If you're willing to drive the 2 hours to Silverthorne, a trip to Pueblo will be better fishing. The Blue has gotten real technical and the fishing has gotten worse over the years. But it still holds it's fair share of nice fish and is worth a trip if you know where to go and what to use.

For the Blue, stick to midges. Size 20-24. 7x tippet and the smallest indicator you can find. Sight fishing is the way to go, blind casting might net a fish, but it'll be few and far between. BTW...here's a little secret...they'll be stocking the Blue again in the Spring...fishing will improve for huge brooders and these fish will take pretty much any pattern you put in front of their face...

Sorry I don't have much info on the Platte...I tend to stay away from there.

For Pueblo, midges, mayfly patterns, san juans, eggs...size 16-22 will net you fish. They also stock it quite frequently so you can always catch stockers at Valco Bridge, the Nature Center and City Park.

If you want, you can tag along with me the next time I head up or down. I usually chronicle all my trips in my blog, but I've been too busy and too lazy the last 2 months so I need to do a blog dump in there...but I'm usually on the water at least every other weekend.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

cool thanks, ill check out your blog and will try to remember to hit you up in April.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Find the slowest, deepest water you can and fish should follow.
troutcomegetit likes this.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

I've figured out that it can be tough on the Platte in winter, you have to bounce the bugs off the trout's nose for them to react in the sluggish water. mattneeds is right too - deep cuts are where the fish hole up.

Also that stretch thru Deckers is notorious for ever changing CFS in the wintertime.

You'll probaby want to hold off on Hares Ears, Princes, Brassies, until a few months from now. Right now if you're willing to go again, try out a Top Secret midge, a Merc, Black Beauty, and some worm patterns. I'm sure there are others but those are all I know to be effective. Who knows maybe a terrestrial or a Stimmy might key up a hunter.

Remember, the South Platte River in this area is one of the world's most technical fisheries - but also one of the most productive tailwaters (Dream Stream, Elevemile, & Cheesman) given the pressure.

Only a few months to go!!! (I'm jonesing bad)

C
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Why wait! Pueblo isn't that far away. You can be on the water in about an hour!

Not that I like seeing lots of people down there. (This weekend was super busy.) But if you're jonesing, this is a great piece of water that has lots of easy access, and lots of good info floating around to get you into fish.

FYI...The rainbows are getting ready to spawn...fish are hungry and strapping on the feed bag...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

@vitesse Damn man, look at that pig. I suppose I could muster up a trip the the Arkansas... Bows spawning so soon? Is that typical or has the Banana Belt been unseasonable too like up here?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrphoto View Post
@vitesse Damn man, look at that pig. I suppose I could muster up a trip the the Arkansas... Bows spawning so soon? Is that typical or has the Banana Belt been unseasonable too like up here?
That pic was from this weekend. Fish are starting to build redds and the males have colored up and are developing a hook jaw.

This is pretty normal for the Ark, around this time, the fish are starting their spawning activities. Upstream, stoneflies are already starting to move about and the fish are starting to take notice. Even with some spots pretty much iced over, fish are thinking spring.

Obviously, stay off the redds, and don't cast to spawning fish. But don't worry, there's plenty of good fishing and a nice egg pattern fished in the faster riffles behind the redds will net you a lot of fish.

The trip to Pueblo from Parker is literally a little over an hour. Fishing access is pretty straight forward and lots of the river is public. For a newbie, start at the dam and work your way downstream. Lots of fish in this stretch and since it gets stocked regularly, you'll get into stocker sized fish for the most part. If you want to chase bigger fish, check out Valco. That's where this bad boy was caught this weekend as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Park at the parking lot at Valco Ponds and fish upstream or downstream of here. Again, lots of good water and easy access. Most of my fish were caught on a size 20 blood midge or olive rs2. Spend time exploring fishy water and you'll be rewarded. Keep in mind, it get's pretty darn busy over weekends, but that hasn't stopped me from catching fish.

Both pictures are of fish from the Valco area. One upstream, and one downstream. This stretch holds a lot of big fish...

If you're bored at those 2 spots, head down to the Nature Center and do the same, fish up or downstream. There are less fish here...but they're bigger. But I doubt you'll be bored.

Also, these are not typical fish. Most days I'm happy to get into some 18 inchers, this weekend I just seemed to be able to hook into some bigger fish! But overall, I'd be surprised if you didn't catch some fish down there.

Again, getting here is pretty straightforward. Head south on I-25 go to Pueblo, turn left at HWY 50 and turn right again on Thatcher. You'll pass Valco Ponds on your way to the dam, and you'll pass the Nature Center on Pueblo Blvd. There are signs, so it's not too hard to find.

Good luck! And post a report when you get back!
troutcomegetit likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 PM

wow some nice fish u got there.

ill take you up on your offer of tag along first thing in April.
im flying back to CA this week to help g/f move the rest of our stuff to CO.
i got other trip to NY in March, so march is quite busy.

but April, ill get my license for the year, and will get back out there to do some fish in.
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough

Gorgeous 'bows. I'll bite the bullet and drive down one of these days. I really, really need a "fix".

Hey romanl, wanna hook up (I live in Thornton) and share the travel expenses? (PM me if interested)

Alex