The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM

greenhorn21 is on a distinguished road
Default New Fisherman

Hey everyone, I'm newly relocated to Wyoming and i've started to research and read about fly fishing and i'm looking for any pointers on gear for starters. I've ready that a 9' 5wt rod/reel is a good place to start and so my next question is what would you suggest is a good brand/model to start with. I believe in buying quality equipment but at the same time i don't want to go over the top while im learning. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Fisherman

Welcome to the forum. We just got over a heated thread over cost vs. best so I don't want to see that get going again. It made fysh pretend to pray. However, if you have a fly shop in the area you may want to take a ride over and have a talk with them.

I agree on the choice of 9' 5 wt. rod. It will do you well there. Maybe you could let us know what kind of price range you are thinking about. You know, someplace between making fysh pray and instant expert.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 PM

greenhorn21 is on a distinguished road

I would like be as cost effective as i can while trying to stay under $350 for a rod/reel combination
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Dan said! Fly rods are like cars, everyone has their favorite, best to go into a fly shop tell them you are interested in a fly rod and actually cast a few different rods in their parking lot/front yard to see what feels good in your hand, and while you are there they will probably give you a couple pointers on how to cast. What part of Wyoming are you located? I'm on the west side in Pinedale.
Guest1 and yonder like this.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The best deal ona 9' 5 wt. around right now is this link here; :: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods

They have reels on closeout as well. In fact I am buying another one of the reels bright and early Monday morning. I think you would be hard pressed to find any better deal for the money you have in mind. In fact for twice the money you have in mind, or 10% of instant expert. I have also seen a few really good deals on fly lines lately on E Bay. I just got an $80 (give or take a buck or two) SA line for $12 plus free delivery. I got goose bumps! It's the third one I own of that exact line. I have it in 8 and 10. Just got a 7 for the 10' 7 wt. Winston I am building. Yah hoo!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Where in Wyoming did you move and where do you plan on fishing?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out allen fly fishing
Allen Fly Fishing
great gear, great company!

casey

ARFE
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

I moved to Wyoming (Cheyenne area) a few years ago. First fly rod I bought was a Cabela's 9 foot 5 weight combo deal for $80 that did me just fine for getting started, and after a while it helped me find out what I was looking for if I was going to drop $350 on a nicer set up.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

greenhorn...agree with Dan and Larry....no need to spend a lot to get a good rod...and more important a rod you'll feel at ease with
yonder likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

My first set up was a great combo (rod/reel/flyline/case) from Temple Fork Outfitters for $200. It got me through my first 2-3 years of learning and I made dozens of both day and backpacking trips with it. The rig never gave me problems even after beating it up like it owed me money.
yonder likes this.