The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bitterroot River, first fish of the year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Looks like this is going to be a low water year on the Bitterroot per the Ravalli Republic newspaper (yesterdays addition). Lower than normal snow pack this winter. Odd off but I fell in 'love' with that little local newspaper and read the on line addition every day.
It's way too early to start predicting water levels, Fred. But it is that time of the year for the local news people in the paper and on TV to start talking about it along with images of the last fire season blah blah blah. The snow packs will be added to for another month or more possibly. The factors that really matter for the rivers (after an amply snowpack) are: when it starts to warm up and how fast the snow comes down, and the amount of rain (snow up high) we get in April and May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutcomegetit View Post
Fantastic! Than you so much for sharing. Looks like a lot of snow off the banks. Were there many other anglers out? Good stuff. Cheers
Zero bank ice on mid-lower Bitterroot now. I talked to one other angler that had stopped at the put-in hole to pull a spinner through for a few minutes on his way South. Otherwise just me, my dogs and the herons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
Happy belated birthday and a tip of the hat to the choice of RR. Still on sale I think?
Yep! Still on sale!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 PM

prismfisher is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the first fish of the year... I am actually looking at the Root as I type this. I almost went down to fish today however I needed to get some stuff done on the Jeep. Tomorrow looks like a good day as the wind is supposed to lie down.

Agree on this time of year (before the runoff) Afterwards there is a daily regatta coming down and serenity is scarce....

Good luck this year.......
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismfisher View Post
Congrats on the first fish of the year... I am actually looking at the Root as I type this. I almost went down to fish today however I needed to get some stuff done on the Jeep. Tomorrow looks like a good day as the wind is supposed to lie down.

Agree on this time of year (before the runoff) Afterwards there is a daily regatta coming down and serenity is scarce....

Good luck this year.......
Welcome to the forum, neighbor! Lucky you, with a view of the river! I'm jealous. The wind was wicked today in Missoula. The weekend is looking nice again, it won't be long now. Are you seeing many adult Skwalas yet?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 AM

prismfisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Welcome to the forum, neighbor! Lucky you, with a view of the river! I'm jealous. The wind was wicked today in Missoula. The weekend is looking nice again, it won't be long now. Are you seeing many adult Skwalas yet?
To tell the truth, I haven't seen much but am hearing tell of some further north. I mainly fish from Darby Bridge to my place.

I have a little one involved in Basketball right now so for the next week or so, I won't get much time down at the river. I haven't even rigged out the pontoon boat yet. But that is coming
Old 03-13-2013, 04:44 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the post & pics...I needed a little piece of home to remind me of what I am missing...only a few more months!
dean_mt likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/