The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Montana visitor question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/313830-montana-visitor-question.html)

phario 03-17-2013 07:41 AM

Montana visitor question

Hi all - newcomer and visitor from the U.K. site here. I'm planning a two-week trip to MT later this year, but I'm pretty much restricted to October. Grateful for any tips on rivers to visit (especially for surface activity) and rivers to avoid at that time. I was thinking of basing in Bozeman - does that make sense? Thanks.

jpbfly 03-17-2013 09:55 AM

Re: Montana visitor question

:welcomean from across the Channel;)we have some members from Montana they should help you...;)when they see your post.

phario 03-17-2013 11:23 AM

Thanks JPB

mattneeds 03-17-2013 11:48 AM

Are you going to have access to a drift boat or raft?

Most major rivers will be fishing well in October because the water temps. are still high enough to keep the fish active, just depends if you want to float or wade fish.

Do you mind fishing around other people?

dhayden 03-17-2013 12:54 PM

Have you started looking at the rivers you want to fish?

That will determine where to base out of. For a 2 week stay.. it's probably worth staying at a couple different places, that would put you closer to the main rivers you're looking for

If you don't have it, you might consider getting "Flyfisher's Guide to Montana"

Bozeman.. is central to a lot of rivers, but there's not a lot right here..
look at the rivers.. then pick the spots. From here.. you can hit a lot of rivers.. .but it could be 1.5 - 2 hours to some of them.

Look at the fishing reports here:
Fins and Feathers Fly Shop

You can look back a year - get an idea of some of the rivers for that time of year

phario 03-18-2013 09:45 AM

Thanks all. Will certainly look into a raft or boat, matt, and don't require solitude. I was thinking bozeman for the gallatin and livingston for the yellowstone? appreciate your encouragement re october: i'll go for that. and will check out those sites/books. thanks

dhayden 03-18-2013 10:17 AM

The Yellowstone is about 45-60 minutes from Bozeman - depending on what stretch you'll be fishing - you'll want a boat of some type for that

You also might look at the spring creeks.. like DePuy

Bozeman - Will get you to the Gallatin and Lower Madison quickly

Ennis - about 45 minutes away - and the start of the Upper Madison

Jefferson - is about 40 minutes away as well (and the headwaters to the Missouri)

Any of the above - are probably close enough to stay in Bozeman, if you don't like moving around

And just to throw this out... you might look at Yellowstone NP (stay in the park, or Gardner, maybe West Yellowstone - depending on what part of the park you'd concentrate on. West Y and Gardner are about 1.5 hours from here)

If you start looking at Big Hole or Beaverhead or Missouri (Craig area) - those are 1.5-2 hours away - and you should definitely think about staying closer

In October - crowds shouldn't be an issue

phario 03-18-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks much Dave.

dhayden 03-18-2013 01:27 PM

When you narrow down, what towns, where you'd like to stay... let us know

Lots of choices, and very easy to get around..

dean_mt 03-18-2013 02:00 PM

phario, October is a beautiful time of the year visit and fish Montana. I'll leave the local advice to the local, Dave has got you covered!