The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mtboiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM

jtliving is on a distinguished road
Default Kalispell in May

Hi guys,

I'm blessed to be able to rendezvous with some friends in Kalispell from May 21-31 this year. I'd like to do some fly fishing while there, but I hear it may be not so easy with the mountain run off. I'll have a couple of three day periods before and after the big weekend but I won't have a full 5-7 day space to do one of those horseback trips into the wilderness. As of now I plan to bring a 9' 5 wt. and a 9' 6 wt, both 4 piece for easy travel. I'll have access to a vehicle. Any tips, suggestions or wisdom to share? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kalispell in May

Are you a lake fisherman at all...... can you get your hands on a float tube? There are a few great lakes in and around Kalispell. I personally prefer river / stream fishing but if the river levels are too high, head for the lakes. Lake Stream Fly Shop in Whitefish should be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM

mtboiler has a spectacular aura aboutmtboiler has a spectacular aura aboutmtboiler has a spectacular aura about

So a couple of options...May will be tough because of run off. But there are places you might be able to fish on the rivers. South Fork for instance under the dam could be really good. But if the flows are high then it will be tough as well. with the early springs we are having you might be in luck and the water levels could be dropping.

But that time of year is tough...and lakes might be the option.
Troutwhisperer likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM

jtliving is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys,

It will be my first time up there in a very long time, first time in May and first time interested in fishing. It's good to have realistic expectations. I have noticed the temperature was in the 40's for a while. An early Spring, so, we'll see...