The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/314866-yellowstone-park-northeast-portion-early-sept.html)

stuck_in_indy 03-27-2013 08:10 AM

Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

Hello,
Hope everyone got through the winter ok. I'm planning a trip for the week after Labor Day, staying in Gardiner, MT. The few times I've fished the NE part of YNP in the past has been in July, so not quite sure what to expect. I've received somewhat conflicting advice in terms of mayfly and caddis hatches from Blue Ribbon and Park's -- so not quite sure what to make of it at this point. (Both have stated that terrestrials will be key though, so that's consistent) Anyone out there that has some experience fishing Lamar and tribs and Yellowstone Black Canyon area at that time of year? Thanks for help.

rockriver 03-27-2013 08:51 AM

Re: Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

I'd try a google search. Here is a start.

Yellowstone Park Fly Fishing - Northeast

Sounds like that could be one beautiful trip.

planettrout 03-27-2013 10:15 AM

Check with these guys...Walter Wiese is the man...

Parks' Fly Shop Home: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone fly shop

...their fishing reports, as one approaches the arrival date, should provide a good indication of what is working...

PT/TB

mcnerney 03-27-2013 10:33 AM

I can't help with your question, but it seemed strange to stay in Gardiner if you plan of fishing the NE section.....just curious, wouldn't Cooke City be much closer?

dhayden 03-27-2013 10:43 AM

Larry.. Cooke City is closer, I was going to suggest that too..

But in favor of Gardiner
  • Gardiner has Park's Fly shop (the shop in Cooke City closed - at least the ast time I was there)
  • You can get to other parts of the park easier - if those NE rivers are (and they can be) very crowded that time of year, and options to go east or south
  • More choice of places to stay

mcnerney 03-27-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayden (Post 541271)
Larry.. Cooke City is closer, I was going to suggest that too..

But in favor of Gardiner
  • Gardiner has Park's Fly shop (the shop in Cooke City closed - at least the ast time I was there)
  • You can get to other parts of the park easier - if those NE rivers are (and they can be) very crowded that time of year, and options to go east or south
  • More choice of places to stay

Dave: I hear you there, but that daily drive back and forth would sure get old unless fishing some of the water closer to Gardiner. Of course, maybe in sept the traffic will have thinned out considerably.

dhayden 03-27-2013 12:17 PM

I agree..

It's a risk/reward thing. .if the Lamar watershed had closure restrictions (like a few years back) .. you're sort of hosed. where Gardiner would give you more options

stuck_in_indy 03-27-2013 12:53 PM

Thanks guys. I will continue to reach out to Walter Weise at Park's as I get closer to the trip. The Lamar-Slough confluence and Yellowstone-Lamar confluence are about equi-distant between Gardiner and Cooke City. Although the Soda Butte and upper Lamar would be closer to Cooke City, Park's Fly Shop is in Gardiner -- so that was the rationale.

dhayden 03-27-2013 01:30 PM

I've found the fish.. not to be too picky over there

It should be prime hopper season about then. Hoppers, Chernobyls work great.. and maybe a typical dropper - but hoppers were the go to fly.

It can get crowded, but if you move around.. easy to find spots, typical, most people fish the easiest accesible places.

Keep an eye open for wildlife.. all kinds there (ask Parks about Bear spray or not)

One of the times I was there.. we were not that far away, but a Bison herd was going to cut us off from gettting back to the car.. if th herd is big enough and slow enough, you'll have an extra long walk, or be prepared to wait them out

silver creek 05-31-2013 05:50 PM

Rainbow and Brook Trout must now be harvested in the Northeast Corner of Yellowstone Park.

Yellowstone National Park updates fishing regulations