The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM

stuck_in_indy is on a distinguished road
Default Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

Hello,
Hope everyone got through the winter ok. I'm planning a trip for the week after Labor Day, staying in Gardiner, MT. The few times I've fished the NE part of YNP in the past has been in July, so not quite sure what to expect. I've received somewhat conflicting advice in terms of mayfly and caddis hatches from Blue Ribbon and Park's -- so not quite sure what to make of it at this point. (Both have stated that terrestrials will be key though, so that's consistent) Anyone out there that has some experience fishing Lamar and tribs and Yellowstone Black Canyon area at that time of year? Thanks for help.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

I'd try a google search. Here is a start.

Yellowstone Park Fly Fishing - Northeast

Sounds like that could be one beautiful trip.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Check with these guys...Walter Wiese is the man...

Parks' Fly Shop Home: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone fly shop

...their fishing reports, as one approaches the arrival date, should provide a good indication of what is working...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with your question, but it seemed strange to stay in Gardiner if you plan of fishing the NE section.....just curious, wouldn't Cooke City be much closer?
shortyb likes this.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Larry.. Cooke City is closer, I was going to suggest that too..

But in favor of Gardiner
  • Gardiner has Park's Fly shop (the shop in Cooke City closed - at least the ast time I was there)
  • You can get to other parts of the park easier - if those NE rivers are (and they can be) very crowded that time of year, and options to go east or south
  • More choice of places to stay
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Larry.. Cooke City is closer, I was going to suggest that too..

But in favor of Gardiner
  • Gardiner has Park's Fly shop (the shop in Cooke City closed - at least the ast time I was there)
  • You can get to other parts of the park easier - if those NE rivers are (and they can be) very crowded that time of year, and options to go east or south
  • More choice of places to stay
Dave: I hear you there, but that daily drive back and forth would sure get old unless fishing some of the water closer to Gardiner. Of course, maybe in sept the traffic will have thinned out considerably.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I agree..

It's a risk/reward thing. .if the Lamar watershed had closure restrictions (like a few years back) .. you're sort of hosed. where Gardiner would give you more options
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM

stuck_in_indy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I will continue to reach out to Walter Weise at Park's as I get closer to the trip. The Lamar-Slough confluence and Yellowstone-Lamar confluence are about equi-distant between Gardiner and Cooke City. Although the Soda Butte and upper Lamar would be closer to Cooke City, Park's Fly Shop is in Gardiner -- so that was the rationale.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM

I've found the fish.. not to be too picky over there

It should be prime hopper season about then. Hoppers, Chernobyls work great.. and maybe a typical dropper - but hoppers were the go to fly.

It can get crowded, but if you move around.. easy to find spots, typical, most people fish the easiest accesible places.

Keep an eye open for wildlife.. all kinds there (ask Parks about Bear spray or not)

One of the times I was there.. we were not that far away, but a Bison herd was going to cut us off from gettting back to the car.. if th herd is big enough and slow enough, you'll have an extra long walk, or be prepared to wait them out
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Rainbow and Brook Trout must now be harvested in the Northeast Corner of Yellowstone Park.

Yellowstone National Park updates fishing regulations
shortyb likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy