The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road
Default Lodging & Guide at Henry's Fork & Firehole River area?

Hi,

I'm planning for a 5day trip to the Henry's Fork and Firehole River area in early July to fish these legendary waters. I hope to engage an guide for that duration. Can anyone recommend lodging location and guide services in that area? Do guides at Henry's fork usually bring their clients to the Firehole as well or do I need to engage a different guide there?

Any advise or recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lodging & Guide at Henry's Fork & Firehole River area?

Give them a call at Trouthunter. I don't have the number offhand, but you can Google it.
And for the Firehole, the end of July it get warm, and don't be surprised if the park shuts it down (fishing) until September. The first part of July should be good though.
Another place you could call is Bud Lilly's in West Yellowstone.
fysh likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 AM

Thanks for the tips. Hope to get a guide for a day or 2 and then fish on my own for the rest of the trip. Hope I don't get my butt kicked by the PhD Trout at Henry's Fork...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster99 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Hope to get a guide for a day or 2 and then fish on my own for the rest of the trip. Hope I don't get my butt kicked by the PhD Trout at Henry's Fork...
Read Mike Lawson's book, it will give you a big head start on what to expect as far as hatches and patterns to use and where to fish. I also like your thinking about a guide, you should do fine.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 PM

lostinmt is on a distinguished road

Give the Guys at Henry's Fork Anglers (Mike Lawson's shop) a call. You will probably get Chris when you call (208-558-7525). You can book a trip with them and they can take you on the Henrys Fork or are licensed to run trips in Yellowstone on the Firehole.

Very professional outfit and will get you lined out for fishing in the area.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinmt View Post
Give the Guys at Henry's Fork Anglers (Mike Lawson's shop) a call. You will probably get Chris when you call (208-558-7525). You can book a trip with them and they can take you on the Henrys Fork or are licensed to run trips in Yellowstone on the Firehole.

Very professional outfit and will get you lined out for fishing in the area.
Much appreciated for the advise.

I have another question on tackle. Can I assume that 4 and 5wt rods will meet most of my needs at Henry's fork and the Firehole? I'll bring along a 6wt just in case. Also, do the guides in that area mind if their clients fish with Bamboo rods?

Thanks & Best Regards
Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Much appreciated for the advise.

Also, do the guides in that area mind if their clients fish with Bamboo rods?

Thanks & Best Regards
-------------

Am curious: Have you fished somewhere with guides who object to cane rods?

Hope you have a successful trip, cane rod and all.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The RR Ranch sipper on this seam may be happy to oblige you, as it did to me...
Click the image to open in full size.
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

Just for the record, there is no way that the Firehole will be fishable in July this year. We're looking at around and 85% of normal snowpack and I expect the Firehole to start getting streaky between June 20 and June 25 and be done in the famous section below the Old Faithful closure even in the morning no later than July 4 and perhaps earlier, depending on how runoff progresses and how hot it gets after June 20. Last year had similar snow conditions and I ran my last trip on the Firehole on June 27, and only did that because my client absolutely had to be picked up and dropped off at Old Faithful. We fished a couple hours early at Muleshoe Bend and by the time we left (about 11:00) the water was already hitting 70 degrees. After that we fished above the closure.

The upper water above the Old Faithful closure will still be cold in July, but it has mostly small fish up to Kepler Cascades and all small fish above --it's basically just a mountain creek upstream from the geysers.

Of course, the average fish even in the famous section of the Firehole is only 6-12 inches and anything over 15 inches is huge. The main draws of fishing there are the geysers and the consistent June, September, and October hatches.

As a guide, I will say that many of us will object to cane rods if they aren't suitable for the conditions. A 7'6" 4 weight just doesn't have enough backbone to handle the wind here or enough length for effective mending, etc. at range. If you have something like an 8'6" Granger you will be fine, but an eight-footer or shorter is best left to the creeks around here unless the wind is dead calm or you intend to swing soft hackles everywhere. I would make exactly the same objections to too short and/or too light graphite rods.

If you intend to fish out of a boat at all, you really need a 9' 6 weight, 9' 5 at the very least. I do a majority of my fishing with a 9' 6 weight and only fish lighter than five on small creeks and/or when I know I won't be fishing larger flies or weight/indicators.
dillon likes this.