The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM

hopp49 is on a distinguished road
Default Sheridan Wyoming advice

Hello all. Glad I found the website, incredible amount of info. My son is running an ultra-marathon in Wyoming this coming June so I figured I would tag along. We will have June 13th to fly fish and I could use some advice as we have never been to the area. First of all, is it likely that we can fish the streams, rivers without waders or will the water be too cold at that time of year? Just a lot easier if we don't have to bring too much stuff. Second, could use some recommendations on where to fish. We don't look to break the world record, but just want to have a nice day with the chance of catching some fish. Another possibility is hiring a float guide. Pricey, but did find Blue Quill Fly Company which offers float trips ----if anyone has any experience with them, please advise. If there is anything else I need to know, please let me know. As they say, you don't know, what you don't know. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sheridan Wyoming advice

Hopp49: Welcome to the forum! I can't help as I have never fished over there, but you are on the east side of the Bighorn Mtns, shouldn't be too hard to find some nice streams to wet a line. One option would to be hop on I-90 and head up to Ft Smith, MT and fish the Bighorn, it's about a 90 mile drive each way, but I'd definitely take a look at some of those mtn streams in the Bighorn Mtns just west of Sheridan.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Every August I fish the Tongue which comes out of the mountains just west of Dayton, WY, with Dayton being 18 miles NW of Sheridan. I have no experience with guides, but I ask advice from the Fly Shop of The Big Horns right there in Sheridan on main street, and I always seem to get great advice.

I don't know what kind of fishing you were thinking of doing, meadow versus canyon, but if you go up in the mountains it can always be cold, even in July.

If you like to golf you're in the middle of the best golf courses in Wyoming.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM

hopp49 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice, I think the fly shop will be our first stop. I have ruled out the guide route only because of the 90 mile trip---eats up a lot of the one day we have. I will continue to search the area via the web and then hit the shop when we arrive for a more local spot.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

I used to live in Sheridan,some pretty good fishing around there in creeks and some lakes. I'd no doubt be fishing the North Fork of the Tongue River, pretty close to Sheridan, and great scenery. It's catch and release only and you can hook some pretty nice fish up to 17-ish inches.

Stop by Fly shop of the Bighorns when you get there, great shop.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopp49 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I think the fly shop will be our first stop. I have ruled out the guide route only because of the 90 mile trip---eats up a lot of the one day we have. I will continue to search the area via the web and then hit the shop when we arrive for a more local spot.
Hit the shop and go fishing. There are tons of places to fish around the Sheridan area, some of the best are in the bighorns, south of Sheridan. Story Wy has great fishing some what south of Sheridan. This time of the year It maybe a problem to get to. Hit the Fly shops and ask around.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I am originally from Sheridan, and still fish there 10-20 days a year.

There is a chance that many rivers are going to be in runoff in june. However, even during runoff the small streams in the bighorns are fish-able.

Your best bet might be to get a map of the bighorns, and find an access point for the Tongue River at an elevation above 6,000 feet. Even though the water will be high it will be clear at that elevation.