The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Yeay!!! More moisture!!!!

I'm sure everyone that fishes the region is well aware, but the entire southern Rockies just got pounded again!!! The Front Range of Colorado saw almost a foot of "wet" snow. I assume the interior mountains saw more. This will equate to about a full inch of precipitation. I hope to goodness this is the storm that will put us close to normal for the year. I can see it now - the forest managers will be taking down the NO FIRES IN THE BACKCOUNTRY signs down at the trailheads.

I hiked the Walker Ranch Loop (South Boulder Creek) yesterday and the day started beautifully - temps in the 60's and little wind. By the time I made it back to my car at sundown, there was an inch of snow on the ground and it was accumulating quickly.
fredaevans, dean_mt, osok and 1 others like this.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Yeay!!! More moisture!!!!

NW Montana had a nice spring like week as well. Rain and snow in the elevations, winter storm warnings even. This is the most important time of the year for the snow pack ... just keep your fingers crossed that the weather stays "seasonal" for another month.
mcnerney, yonder and long bow like this.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't get so lucky here in Pinedale, WY. I think we received 2-3" and then the storm roared past with a vengence. Keeping fingers crossed for more springtime moisture.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

coutr21 - You must not live very far from me! I don't know where that foot of snow fell, didn't happen at our place. I saw Boulder officially measured 13 inches, but I only have about two inches on the ground this morning.

Sadly, I think we would need about 10 more feet to just get to historical snowpack levels, and then we'd need even more to make up for last year.

At least its in the right direction... even if it means I won't be doing much fishing the next few days.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Yeah, I may have spoken a little too soon. When I said that, it was still coming down hard and was accumulating quickly in my yard. I live close to Boulder and we got about 7-8". I think Denver only got about 3-4". Good wet snow, tho. Local news this morning said the high mountains are still receiving some decent snow, which is nice.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Snow pack in most of the Western States is of real concern this winter. Here in Southern Oregon we're off at least 35% of norm. Could be damned interesting come September.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Colorado Snowpack map for those that are curious:

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf

Statewide currently at 71% which is low, but keep in mind at this time last year runoff was already several weeks in at this point.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

Yes, most of the storm went north of Durango but we got some of it. Here's hoping for a wet spring.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 AM

A week later and we're getting pounded again!!! I have about half a foot at my house and I have a buddy who lives at 10K and they've received 18" so far. Think I may have to break out the snowshoes for one last day hike tomorrow.

Northern Colorado got hit fairly hard and the radio says Wyoming is getting dumped on pretty well.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 AM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
A week later and we're getting pounded again!!! I have about half a foot at my house and I have a buddy who lives at 10K and they've received 18" so far. Think I may have to break out the snowshoes for one last day hike tomorrow.

Northern Colorado got hit fairly hard and the radio says Wyoming is getting dumped on pretty well.
Yeah, we got dumped on pretty good. It is fantastic because NoCo has been extremely dry. They said in the paper that it dropped 12" in Fort Collins. But I pushed off 12" off the old lady's car this morning so it had to be more than that.

Anyway, very happy. Last I heard RMNP got 18", but I'm sure it is more than that at this point. Very awesome.
countr21 likes this.