The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: In search of big browns on the San Juan NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly505 View Post
Jeepster....when you say "main channel" are you referring to a specific location on the river or are you referring to the main flow in the middle of a non-specific area of the river?
Both. I have special locations on the main channel for four miles. Look at the drift boats. They rarely venture from the main channel.

Quote:
Are they usually hanging in faster water or slower slack water.
Both. I've never caught a brown there in shallow water.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:29 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough

Hmm...very interesting. Thanks for the tip! Anyone truly know how deep the Texas hole really is? I'm not sure I'm getting deep enough for the main currents, I really need to invest in a sink tip I think. Thanks again
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Nah- the T-hole is deep, but not deep enough to need a sink-tip, at least at normal flows. Plus when the fish start feeding on emergers they won't be sitting at the bottom of it but rather in the first three feet.

But, if you find you need to get really deep there without a sink-tip, you can do this. Take your standard 9' 5x leader and add 1-2 feet of fluorocarbon tippet before you even tie on your first fly (normally I cut my 9' 5x leader back to put on some fluorocarbon tippet to the first fly). Then tie on your first fly- annelid, midge, streamer, whatever (tippet may need to be heavier for some streamers).

Then you can take another 1-2 feet of fluorocarbon tippet and add your second fly. Make certain you use the right amount of weight, not too much or too little. Place your strike indicator high up on your leader. Doing that will get you as deep as you'll need 95% of the time. And usually I can just get to the desired depth by adjusting weight and indicator placement. Remember to estimate the depth and place the strike indicator around 1.5x the depth you will be fishing.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Wow thanks newby for the great tip! I use primarily furled leaders and love em for just about any application. For deep streamer and nymphing i use a flouro leader which sinks quite well. When you add a second piece of tippet do you tie directly to the hook bend of the first fly? If so would do you like the heavier fly tied to the bend of the hook of a lighter fly or visa versa? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

A mono or fluoro furled leader with enough tippet works really well. When doing a standard nymph rig at the Juan usually the heavier fly is the first one. Depending on the size of the lead fly, etc... like to tie the tippet to the bend of the first fly.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 AM

Sounds great! I'll make sure I'll have the lead fly (closest to fly line) the heaviest...thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 AM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
A mono or fluoro furled leader with enough tippet works really well. When doing a standard nymph rig at the Juan usually the heavier fly is the first one. Depending on the size of the lead fly, etc... like to tie the tippet to the bend of the first fly.
Sorry Colton but furled leaders are not meant for indicator fishing! Too much drag in the water making it tougher to get a proper drift, ill placement of indicator and split shot. I spoke with the owner of Cutthroat Leaders and he agreed with me on this! Fish regular leaders or tie your own!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 AM

I was just telling him that they would work fine if that was all he head. When I have (rarely) fished a furled mono leader with nymphs, it worked fine, protecting tippet well. Never noticed an issue with drag.

But I agree, a tapered mono leader or fluoro if I spring for it is best
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Ya I was having a few issues with drag on the nymphing leaders being the diameter of the furl felt to be a little to large.... I do only use furled leaders because it has cut down substantially the cost of replacing a ton of nylon leaders when the tippet end would get cut back alot when changing rigs and flies. Plus I can't stand leader memory, drives me crazy. I put my indicator right by the tippet ring so the only part of my rig that's subsurface is my tippet...works extremely well and havnt had drag issues since, I hate using shot...I tie my weighted nymphs with lead-free wire or tungsten beads. Thanks for tips fellas
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Ya I was having a few issues with drag on the nymphing leaders being the diameter of the furl felt to be a little to large.... I do only use furled leaders because it has cut down substantially the cost of replacing a ton of nylon leaders when the tippet end would get cut back alot when changing rigs and flies. Plus I can't stand leader memory, drives me crazy. I put my indicator right by the tippet ring so the only part of my rig that's subsurface is my tippet...works extremely well and havnt had drag issues since, I hate using shot...I tie my weighted nymphs with lead-free wire or tungsten beads. Thanks for tips fellas
The best thing about split shot is it doesn't have a hook. It's part of the mix at the juan.