The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fishing close to the I-80

It's been a while.............................

I fished from Tahoe down back in 1981, things were probably not as developed then as they may be now.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
very close to I-80 - probably as close as one can get -
Click the image to open in full size.
My god, I was going to sh^t a brick if you told me you caught that lunker under the I-80 bridge near Sinclair, WY.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Hey OP, if you're down traveling off of I-80, take a look into the Green River below the Flaming Gorge Reservoir just inside the utah border by Dutch John. If you turn south of I-80 near Green River/Rock Springs Wyoming, its about an hour and a half away, and a beautiful drive.

The Little hole area is all public and pure trout heaven. Probably a top 3 destination in the world, and no guide needed.
t1978d likes this.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of good options off I-80 once in WY.
I'm not at my computer at the house si I can't give you as much detailed information, but here are some ideas.
1. Turn off at Laramie and then take hwy 130 into the Snowy Mtns, lots of small streams and lakes.
2. West of Laramie take the Walcott exit, head south to Saratoga, there is a lake on the south end of town with nice sized rainbows, or watch for the brown public access points to the North Platte. Be careful if you decide to fish the access points on the south side of Saratoga, due to rattlesnakes. I prefer the access points on the north side of town in the mtns (maybe 15 miles past town, just watch for the brown signs.
3. Take the Sinclair exit about 7 miles to the east of Rawlins, WY and travel north about an hour, the hwy crosses the North Platte. This section is called the Miracle Mile, actually about seven miles of river all n BLM land, lots of camping available.
4. Just past Rock Springs, take hwy 191 south to Dutch John, UT, it is about an hour drive. As you reach Dutch John, you will see a gas station/convenience store/fly shop on the left. If you turn left the paved road will take you down to a boat landing called Little Hole, about five miles. If you continue past Dutch John look for the boat launch sign on the left before you cross the dam. This area I'm talking about is the Green River below Flaming Gorge reservoir. If you fish anywhere along your trip to CA, make it a point to fish here. All of the land on the river is BLM and there is a walking path from the dam all the way to the first takeout at Little Hole, so even in the summer there is plenty of room to spread out. Lots of camping in the area but little tree cover/shade except for a couple, the best is past the dam and up the hill a bit on the left called the firemen's memorial.
Hardyreels, jpbfly, t1978d and 1 others like this.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM

t1978d is on a distinguished road

mcnerney and 4peace1piece; I appreciate that.
If this trip happens I'll be sure to let you all know how I got on.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome! If you think you would like to try the Snowies or the upper North Platte areas let me know and I can give you better details, but personally I would spend the bulk of your fishing time on the Green below Flaming Gorge. They call the section below the dam the Aquarium, once you see it you will understand. The river flows through a deep canyon maybe 10000 ft or better and the views are incredible.
Also, if you are a stillwater junkie and love targeting monster fish let me know.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1978d View Post
mcnerney and 4peace1piece; I appreciate that.
If this trip happens I'll be sure to let you all know how I got on.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

Hit the Green in Utah and Wyoming. Lots and lots of public land. Very good fishing, interesting scenery. PM me for more info.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
You must be from California. No one out here calls it "the I-80", or "the 80", its just "I-80".
that's southern Ca. It's not "the" 101 or 280 in the bay area either. yuck
Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
very close to I-80 - probably as close as one can get -
Click the image to open in full size.
Water there's a dead ringer for the 'Bridge Hole' on the upper Rogue River.