The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: What happened to the Arkansas between Canon City and Salida

I live in buena vista about 30 minutes from salida,been fishing the arkansas the last two weekends,have done well with my standard go to fly,a size 22 black zebra midge trailed by a barr bwo emerger. Heading out tomorrow for some more fun.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:56 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What happened to the Arkansas between Canon City and Salida

Very good to hear!! Enjoy the weekend. I do believe the river, she is a changing. The fish sure seem healthy. I love the Arkansas and the crowds are more spread out than the rivers up north and on the south platte drainage.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I fished the Ark this past weekend and camped at Cotapaxi. No caddis hatch - really disappointed. The BWO's are really starting to become more prolific and hopefully the stones that were put in by the DOW take off because that would be awesome.

I was told by Bill from Royal Gorge Anglers that the problem has been water. The water is super skinny right now and running about 200 CFS less than in the past. Bill told me that he is afraid that this maybe the end of the caddis hatch has we have known it. Or at least until the water levels come back up for a couple years.

Randy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Bill and Taylor will need to come around a little quicker with the information they continue to post on the web site. The caddis are just not there and to continue to tell people the caddis are hatching in prolific numbers is just not correct. They are finally giving the BWO hatch more attention on the web site. We count on the information from shops to determine when we take off work and leave our families behind to take advantage of the prolific hatches. Bill may need to rewrite his book on the Arkansas.
trout champ likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Preachin to the choir! Just imagine being able to make a "fake" hatch whenever you wanted. If the hatch wasn't on you can always say, "Should've fished around Coaldale" or "Should've been here yesterday/tomorrow!"

Randy
fishngolf16 likes this.