The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By blackbugger
  • 2 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM

robm_nj is on a distinguished road
Default Easy Access Spots in Jackson Hole

My first post.

My family and I will be in Jackson the first week of August. We'll be scheduling a float trip, probably on the Snake (advice welcome), but I don't want to limit my fishing to that.

You see, when I say "family," I mean "wife, two daughters, and mother in law." All women. My wife is an avid angler. My daughters are teenagers. Getting them up in the morning will be a chore... and that's time that I can, and should, be on the water.

So my question is: where can I wade, or even shore fish, safely, within 5 minutes of Jackson in August? I'm routinely up one or two hours before the kids, and I don't want to waste that time reading a book... I need quick access to a stream, even if it's in a suburban setting.

I've done some searching here and I read that property owners own the shore rights, and I don't want to trespass.

So, I'm looking to tell my daughters "call your mother and I when you're ready and we'll come back to the hotel to pick you up" situations.

Where would you go?

Cheers,
Rob
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easy Access Spots in Jackson Hole

Rob: You could fish Flat Creek on the Elk Refuge, it is on the north side of town on the right, it is your typical spring creek. Fly Fishing Flat Creek | High Country Flies

You could also wet a line on the Snake, take hwy 22 west out of town, it crosses the Snake river (Wilson Bridge), turn right and there is a boat launch on the right.

Also check with the local fly shops, there are probably other spots close by to wet a line.

If you can spare a full day, your welcome to come down and float the Green river with me.

Larry

Larry
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM

blackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura about

Flat Creek.
Really fun, really challenging, REALLY big fish.

Get ready to spend a good deal of time crawling around on your knees...it's worth it.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

If interested in fishing the SF Snake (and you should be interested ) contact guide Darrin Deel for information. 530-228-0432 He's not sure if he's going this year, as he is getting married in June...but he will have the names of the top guides in the area for you and he suggested you call him...Great young guide on the L Sac in Redding.

Last edited by mikel; 04-30-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Isn't Davo still in Jackson? What the heck every happened to Davo??

What these guys said, the Snake is a big, but wader friendly river in places, in August you'll be fine. There is really nice access N of town. I personally love the Gros Ventre (gro-VAUNT), Flat Creek is super cool but as Bugger said super challenging. It doesn't open till sometime in July though, so the fish might not be super-spooked and you might get to fish hoppers to them. Hogback Creek is on the edge of town ... get a map, man! There are rivers large and small all over the place in that area!

And welcome to the forum.

--------------------

Check that! Flat Creek opens August 1. So, the fish will not be as wary right off, but expect the flat meadow that the river meanders through to be pocked with brimmed hats and fisherman everywhere!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 PM

blackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I wouldn't push too hard for Flat Creek with so many other great options in the area.

It is about the closest to Jackson (Town Square) and easy to get on. I've only fished it in late Sept. - early Oct. and all the fish I've caught have been on small mayflies.
It's pretty cool.
When the hatches come off (from what I've seen) it's never a huge amount of bugs but there can be several different kinds going and they get pushed into the tight current seams against the bank.
Those huge cutties will sit super tight to the banks and casually sip away requiring a stealthy approach, fine tippets and very accurate casts with difficult drifts. They refuse and ignore poor matches to the hatch so you can easily sit there for 1/2 hour to an hour working one rising fish. It's quite the sense of accomplishment when you finally get one to take after changing flies three times and running 30-40 drifts by the fish without spooking it.. and then things get complicated. Those banks are deeply undercut.

Here's a quick video;
Fly Fishing Flat Creek | High Country Flies

The fish they show is actually on the small side from what I've seen and caught.
I've also never dealt with crowds but I don't doubt that it happens.
It's fun just hiking around looking for a riser, and you can almost always find some if the hatch is on. At least that's how it's been for me though I've only been on it maybe 10 times in the last ten years.
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Isn't Davo still in Jackson? What the heck every happened to Davo??

What these guys said, the Snake is a big, but wader friendly river in places, in August you'll be fine. There is really nice access N of town. I personally love the Gros Ventre (gro-VAUNT), Flat Creek is super cool but as Bugger said super challenging. It doesn't open till sometime in July though, so the fish might not be super-spooked and you might get to fish hoppers to them. Hogback Creek is on the edge of town ... get a map, man! There are rivers large and small all over the place in that area!

And welcome to the forum.

--------------------

Check that! Flat Creek opens August 1. So, the fish will not be as wary right off, but expect the flat meadow that the river meanders through to be pocked with brimmed hats and fisherman everywhere!
John: Davo is still in Jackson, but doesn't guide as far as I can tell. He used to work as a night security guard and on the weekends would guide, but got laid off from the security outfit. It took several months but he found a steady job with a landscaping company and recently got promoted to a supervisor. Davo, my gf and I attended the FF film tour in Jackson a month or so ago and had a great time. He is getting the itch to fish and we normally will do a float together on the South Fork in May when the Snake is blown out.

Larry
dean_mt and littledavid123 like this.

Larry
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've only fished it a couple times, bugger. Once when I was very green and it was cool just to be out there but no chance in hell I was gonna catch a fish. I saw numerous 24" cutties scatter when trying to walk slowly along the banks.

I've never seen the crowd either since I've only been there twice. But one of the shop guys said it is ridiculous on the opener. Everyone wants a chance at those fish before they get hook shy.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum Rob......as you can see, there are alot of great folks on here that are more than willing to share tips and info......be sure to post a trip report with pics....... I hope you get into the fish!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Rob WELCOME.
As you can see there are lots of friendly helpful people here.
Brian.