The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By shortyb
  • 1 Post By Longs for Cutts
  • 2 Post By blackbugger
  • 1 Post By rickyortiz
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By shortyb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough
Default Bozeman, MT help.

I'll be making a trip from central Cali to Bozeman this Friday and turning right around to head home. Business trip, but I'm hoping to squeeze at least a couple hours of fishing time in. I've never been to Montana let alone fish it. So any tips as to where and what flys to tie up would be greatly appreciated I'll be going through Nevada, Idaho, and into Montana on the 191. Oh I'll be towing a 24 foot trailer so can't exactly take any back mountain roads just looking for well known right off the hwy spots if any. Again thanks for your time!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bozeman, MT help.

Gallatin head west on main street to four corners then head south (left) first access should be few minutes on your right clearly marked. Parking might be tuff with a trailer, but the fish are there. I would stop at a fly shop in town or call for a report and or check flows. Sounds like west and mid west MT, are starting runoff already.

I have fished there a few times when in a hurry. Few deep pools right at the bridge but worth walking up a mile or two and fish it all.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

The Gallatin ain't gonna work. It's not blown as bad as the Yellowstone yet, but it's heading that way and 70+ degree temps aren't going to help.

The Paradise Valley spring creeks will be your best bet, with the Madison in and just below the Beartrap Canyon the second choice. Everything else that's public within 45 minutes of Bozeman is going to be in spring runoff for a while.
shortyb likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Caddis are out on the Lower Madison.
I haven't been over there yet but that's where I would go. Plenty of easy access and when the hatch is on there can be fish rising everywhere. Evenings are usually better.

Lower Madison Fishing Report May 08, 2013
mcnerney and shortyb like this.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for the responses! Hopefully I'll be able to hook into a few fish.
shortyb likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This why I like this Fora. Man driving several hundred miles (and God knows how many hours behind the wheel) and he gets specific information on the 'who-what-where-when.' And hopefully.

This is why this 'place' just works. Will I some day make that trip? Possibly, but I'd ask the same question, hopefully I'll get the same kind of helpful info. Will I 'catch fish?' That parts up to me.

Fred
shortyb likes this.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Fred I agree, it makes me happy just to think Ricky could be some where on the lower mad. tossing some elk hair around in a great setting.

Dry flies in Montana, much love.
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Fred I agree, it makes me happy just to think Ricky could be some where on the lower mad. tossing some elk hair around in a great setting.

Dry flies in Montana, much love.
Click the image to open in full size.
Skwala on the creek?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 AM

bobk627 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbugger View Post
Caddis are out on the Lower Madison.
I haven't been over there yet but that's where I would go.
i think ill try out the madi today
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Skwala on the creek?
Deer hair caddis, doubled up with a brookie that took my trailing sparkling dun when it was submerged....

I have been meaning to make a report working a lot and both pc and our laptop took craps. Hard to post good pics on the phone.

P.s. have any of you made it out to the Madison yet?

Last edited by shortyb; 05-13-2013 at 11:47 PM.