The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By Liphookedau
  • 1 Post By coloradocaddis970
  • 2 Post By romanl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing in chocolate milk

Had a chance to get out for a few hours today and took it even knowing the front range streams are dealing with a bit of run-off. With two kids under 3 years old, never pass up a chance to go fishing. I was hoping that some days without rain might bring them down a bit and clear the water, well it didn't. The creek was running high and looked like chocolate milk. Thought about leaving but ran into a couple friends who went to the same little spot. Glad I stayed.

Initially tried streamers but got no takes. I kept seeing little olives flying off the water, so I put on a czech nymph and some weight and trailed a size 16 cdc olive nymph. Once I got the depth dialed in I started getting hits. My first fish was my biggest yet on that creek, not huge but a nice 13 inch brown. Landed 4 others and had 3 or 4 long distance releases all on fairly bushy unweighted nymphs. I found the trick was to trail them behind a fairly heavy fly so they'd be just off the bottom but still have movement. Most of the takes were either in slower water or the jumbled currents on either side of a large rock were the eddy and main current swirl together. For this kind of water you really need to get the flies to the bottom which result in a lot of snags and some lost flies, but worth it to catch some fish.

Not as fun as taking them on dries in clear water but still very glad I got out. Only regret is that I forgot the camera.
dean_mt and shortyb like this.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing in chocolate milk

So other than nymphs, what color patterns of streamers and what retrieves due you use in muddy water??
Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Wooly buggers are my go to. Simple and effective, usually. Today I started with a bucktail streamer I'd tied up recently but realized it didn't have the weight or buggy-ness I wanted. So I tied on a wooly bugger I tied last night with some new dubbing that had come in the mail. For muddy water I want something that'll make some disturbance in the water so the fish might pick it up with their lateral lines. The bugger had bushy hackle wrapped around the body and some rubber legs mixed into the dubbing to hopefully make some good vibrations . They had a bit of flash since it was a sunny day I hoped that might be visible as well. Alas they didn't do the job today.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi William.
Sometimes it's surprising what's feeding in The Soupy Water I can remember well back in The 60s where I was checking the local creek which after Rain was coloured & really Flowing I noticed a Rainbow about 3.5 lbs taking Insects late in The Afternoon I came home & told my Father.
He went over there the next day & caught a Brown about 4lbs as I had to go to Work.
That afternoon I wandered over with My Fly Rod & Tied on A Black Bodied Fly with Black Hackle & Orange Wings The Size of The Insects The Fish was Taking The previous Day & after 2 casts I caught it.
Unfortunately Woolly Buggers & many other Flies weren't around then so I mainly used Local & English Patterns.
Brian.
Hardyreels and williamhj like this.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Waters here in the Vail Valley have started to skyrocket. 651cfs yesterday to nearly 1100 today. We like bring pink flash san juan worms usually trailing behing a heavier pats rubber legs or bigger 20inchers. For streamers, contrasting colors with the chocolate milk... blacks and whites with olive in them work great. Thin Mints, Motor Oils, slumpies, articulated leeches, white zonkers and happy meals have been working really well on the eagle river and the colorado. swifter water means more weight, im usually running 4-7 BB splits on my rigs in swiftwater conditions, hugging the banks when i can. OTOH.... the caddis have arrived!!! Some occasional top feeders but it will be much better as the runoff slows.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

i've fished Clear Creek just north of GOLDEN, about 3 days a week for the past few weeks, as it started to run-off and with rain i've seen water go from clear to Chocolate milk as you said it yourself.
yesterday was the worst, i didnt get a single bite (first time ever)
and to think just a day or two earlier i've been pulling trouts out of that same water every 10 min
Hardyreels and williamhj like this.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
So other than nymphs, what color patterns of streamers and what retrieves due you use in muddy water??
Fluorescent pink, cerise have worked for me in really dirty water as well as clean water.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I have often wondered about this because we have another "lesser known" river around here. The other Clarks Fork (of the Yellowstone), it runs off color green or choco 9 months of the year lol. I know some good fish are in there, just need to dial it in I guess. Get deep or find something flashy enough that I can swing/strip.