The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By long bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Blown Out!

Took the family down the Bitterroot Valley today for an exploratory mission. Here is the middle 'Root at 7000 cfs.

Click the image to open in full size.

It was in the 80s this weekend and everything is way blown out. Not a soul near the river. I'd like to try to fish some of the soft "edges" ... you know, the areas where there are usually trucks parked!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Blown Out!

Wow!

I tried the North Fork of the Gunny the other day and it was high, muddy and blown out...Its time. 89 today it will blow the rest as well.

Still water.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

That's really moving.

Dave
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
That's really moving.

Dave
But not so trouble Deanfishing the truck parks might be a good idea
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: It looks like you guys are a couple days ahead of us here in western WY. I fished the upper Green yesterday morning, the river is up a bit but getting way off color, maybe 18" of visibility, I'm thinking maybe another day or two before we see the flows really jump up.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Yeah it's moving alright! Some of the predictions said the rivers might peak over the weekend - which would be bad for the long run - but no chance. The Bitterroot rose another 2000 cfs overnight! But it won't be long till the run-off from snow melt will be done, with the temps we've had. We did have a good snow pack so I'm not worried, but we need some rain to keep the rivers up.

Compare the pictures above to this one I shot in March. This is just a couple miles upstream, standing in the stream bed. I takes a lot of water to fill this in! I'm always amazed by high water season.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Some of my favorite spring-time fishing memories have been high sticking from the parking lot Latrines can give nice cover and soft edge to boot.
dean_mt likes this.