The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   July trip to NM & CO becomes June trip (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/319324-july-trip-nm-co-becomes-june-trip.html)

edwardo 05-13-2013 07:49 PM

July trip to NM & CO becomes June trip

Well my 3 week trip to NM & CO in July has hit a minor bump. I just found out I have prostate cancer and will have surgery in July, so we're heading out to CO in June for two weeks (June 10-23) for some pre-surgery fun.

What will be the likely state of rivers at that time; will they still be in runoff conditions? Like my earlier July plans, I'm still planning a stay on the Conejos River early and the area around Nederland (or RMNP) last. I'm looking for some suggestions to fish in between those two areas. What say you? Thanks!

Eddie

aggieoutlaw 05-13-2013 08:26 PM

Re: July trip to NM & CO becomes June trip

Eddie,
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I'll be wishing you the best.

The rivers should be just as good in June as July. Runoff will be low this year thanks to the miserably low snowpack. You shouldn't have a problem wading or fishing any river in that region.

If you were planning on fishing the Costilla in the Valle Vidal, many areas will be closed until July. So that is really the only impact of you changed plans I'd expect.

Good luck and take care!

lacanadio 05-13-2013 10:00 PM

Sorry to hear about your health problems. The Conejos (downriver at Mogote) appears to have peaked re runoff. Bad snow year in SoCo/NoNM.

As others have recommended, the San Juan is killer. It's fishing very well right now, even at the reduced flows (250 cfs at this writing).

The Animas appears to be running slow for this time of year as well, so it might be fun. Durango fly shops can steer you right.

Have a good trip.

FWIW, wife and I will be on the Conejos in early June (7th-9th) at Aspen Glade. Hoping to catch some stonefly action...

Bob

trout champ 05-14-2013 12:12 AM

Sorry brother.

Colorado is pretty dry right now and we are not expecting a real runoff. I would hit the tailwaters on the South Platte for several days of fishing and probably the upper strches of the Arkansas River. See ya on the river!

Randy

edwardo 05-14-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacanadio (Post 555635)
Sorry to hear about your health problems. The Conejos (downriver at Mogote) appears to have peaked re runoff. Bad snow year in SoCo/NoNM.

As others have recommended, the San Juan is killer. It's fishing very well right now, even at the reduced flows (250 cfs at this writing).

The Animas appears to be running slow for this time of year as well, so it might be fun. Durango fly shops can steer you right.

Have a good trip.

FWIW, wife and I will be on the Conejos in early June (7th-9th) at Aspen Glade. Hoping to catch some stonefly action...

Bob

Thanks Bob, we will probably come into Aspen Glade on the 10th; please leave some fish! Have you been to this campground before; how does it compare to other FS campgrounds in the area? Can you give me any tips on places to fish on the Conejos? PM me with your favorite honey holes. :D

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by trout champ (Post 555664)
Sorry brother.

Colorado is pretty dry right now and we are not expecting a real runoff. I would hit the tailwaters on the South Platte for several days of fishing and probably the upper strches of the Arkansas River. See ya on the river!

Randy

I fished several areas on the S. Platte last year; while I would love to go back, my wife wants new scenery. Are you refering to the Ark around Buena Vista or elsewhere? Thats kind of the direction we were thinking of heading after the Conejos. Know of any good FS campgrounds? Care to divulge any honey holes via PM? :D

lacanadio 05-14-2013 06:25 PM

We've been to Aspen Glade before. Last year, there was no water as the lead content was too high and the health dept. (or someone like that) nixed the FS providing it. Mogote Campground, which is a couple miles east, had water, though. I suspect that there won't be water at A.G. this year either. Notwithstanding, we prefer A.G. to Mogote - it's a bit nicer and there aren't any mosquitos at A.G.

There's two levels at A.G. The lower loop is right next to the river and we prefer it. A.G.'s popular and all of its sites are reservable. Coming in when you are shouldn't be a problem for you finding a site.

Gold Medal water begins just upstream of A.G. and extends for ~4 miles upstream.

Yup, we'll leave some fish most likely. Hopefully after catching them...

Bob

trout champ 05-15-2013 12:54 AM

Eddie,

Above Buena Vista will be good all the way to Leadville. Also don't forget about the Taylor River on the other side of Cottonwood Pass. There are tons of area in those mountains to fish!

Randy

edwardo 05-28-2013 05:09 PM

How is the Eagle River around Camp Hale and northward?