The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By shortyb
  • 1 Post By shortyb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Spring Report: small water big heart

So I am trying to do this on a phone beware of auto correct typos.

I have been fishing about a day each week. While we have had some colder weather this spring, each Thursday the mother nature says "B go catch fish". Mayflies started coming off the start of April in small numbers some good midge clusters if the wind was right.
Click the image to open in full size.
Finally dry fly season!

For the next few weeks each Thursday I would head to the creek toss a sparkling dun with a g.nat or little thingy trailing.

The water was alive! Fish were all over the top and very willing to take my offerings.

First week in May Thursday didn't work out, had to watch our now 1 year old daughter (happy bday Ellie). Tried to go out late in the day and just nothing feeding. Caught a small rainbow to save the night. Knowing I was kind bummed missing the one nice day, my wife after our morning meeting at work says "how about you go fishing before your shift" I looked at the clock figured a few hours could be nice. Weather was prefect and filled with big clouds. I just had this feeling... it was not wrong either. No pictures I had no time and every fish in the river to catch, that's how I felt any way. It was like bass style tournament fishing in fast forward. Best two hours fishing ever on any river (even the horn).

Few days later I popped down for a quick go before a storm moved in. Have been seeing some stoneflies about so I upped size flies with a caddis and sparkling dun. Fishing some of the same holes I had a fished for weeks now. This one spot I had a fish break me off on the strike 2 different times. Not this time, it hammered my fly without breaking and tried to get me under the bank . As I got it closer a nice brown, then see a bookie swim next to it like it was podding up. Needless to say when I netted the brown the brook came with. First for me!

The moral of this fishing report is creeks have big hearts, specially for spring dry flies. Have you visited one lately?

Oh and we did make our trip to the "horn" this March. Buddy from CO came up and had a blast.
The video is ok just some gopro footage nothing fancy. http://vimeo.com/m/65484614

Brent-
Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Spring Report: small water big heart

As usual Brent, you did not disappoint.

Great pictures and the 'double' are you saying the brookie was not hooked? It just hung with the big guy until you scooped them both?

Still ice here; we're about 3 weeks behind the curve on breakup. i think it was 2 springs ago when I was floating a 5 day trip and found the lost Iditarod sled dog. That was around May 17 when I got dropped off for the trip............. just 4 days from now and that same river is covered with ice.

Glad to see somebody having some fun, and thanks for sharing it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spring Report: small water big heart

The brookie must have taken my dry emerger subsurface at some point. Then hung on for a wild ride.

B
Hardyreels likes this.