The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By loveforthedryfly
  • 1 Post By mattneeds
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 3 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 AM

loveforthedryfly is on a distinguished road
Default Montana My True Love. Visiting please help

Hey all, my name is Bill Wakeham I'm making a trip from yakima washington to deer lodge Montana! I learned how to Fly fish By my great uncle Bill Storey, and my father Sid Wakeham. My Great uncle Bill lived in deer lodge his entire life and loved his backyard! I Loved visiting him 2-3 times a year. When i was 7 Bill and my father took me to Rock Creek, On the the old Rock Creek Cattle Ranch!... Which is now Rock Creek Cattle Company GOLF COURSE!!!! WTF! I am truly heartbroken!. I am unsure if i will be able to fish this creek now because its private as sh!t. My great uncle Bill Passed away a few years ago and i would like to make a trip with my father and have another great trip, not for us but for bill. I'm a true lover of the sport and Love Dry fly fishing. If anyone could help me out with some great CREEKS....? I like rivers but i fell in love with the creeks in montana. My father and i can hold our own and some, were not scared of a challenge. I hope someone can steer me into a direction of a great creek i can fish.. Thank you!! God was a Dry Fly Fisherman.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Montana My True Love. Visiting please help

I have a buddy that works for Rock Creek Cattle Company and from what I hear there's no way to fish that creek unless you're a member or are willing to pay some major cash. That being said there are plenty of places to fish around there. I'd check out the Little Black Foot River, which is more of creek called a river and the Upper Clark Fork. Good Luck out there.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bill: Try the Little Blackfoot river, get yourself a copy of Flyfishing Adventures Montana by John Holt, he describes several out of the way rivers/creeks in MT and has maps, descriptions of the fishing, etc. I have the kindle version on my IPad.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.

Larry
Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM

loveforthedryfly is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info im definitely going to continue my research... Does anyone know if its illegal to access rock creek from public land? can i walk up waterways as long as i dont go onto there land????? And I just ordered Fly fishing adventures montana. Looks like an Awesome book! thanks11
Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

It is legal to access water via a public access point like a bridge crossing, then as long as you stay below the high water mark you are legal. That being said I have heard that some outfits in MT will disregard this and try their best to intimidate you to leave......it probably isn't worth the hassle. There are a lot of places to find some awesome fishing in MT. Just sayin'.
Hardyreels and yonder like this.

Larry
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
It is legal to access water via a public access point like a bridge crossing, then as long as you stay below the high water mark you are legal. That being said I have heard that some outfits in MT will disregard this and try their best to intimidate you to leave......it probably isn't worth the hassle. There are a lot of places to find some awesome fishing in MT. Just sayin'.
More than a couple of Court Cases on this one; one going now.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Sounds like you heading back the Deer Lodge area? You should look no further than the Clark Fork river. Don't let the nomenclature fool you, up at Deer Lodge it is a wading stream through and through, brown trout heaven. Otherwise, Larry's recommendation of the little Blackfoot is a good one. You could also head West over a range via Hwy 1 thru Anaconda around Georgetown Lake and to the other more well known Rock Creek. I think you would like the upper end of that stream!
Hardyreels, shortyb and yonder like this.