The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Aid Kit?!.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffer View Post
a snake bite kit
I keep reading that these are more harmful than helpful....I'm no expert and would be interested in thoughts from those who know.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Always have a First Reponders bag in the car since I am part of our county EMS program and I always carry a small kit in my fishing pack. You just never know what might happen on the river.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

It's more important to know what to use and how to use it, than what you carry, and I think a decent first aid class is more important that the equipment you carry.

The snake bite thing seems to change more frequently than others.
I think with those little kits, the cutting could make things worse. I'm sure with training they're more valuable.

A simple cravat will do for most cases, and is very small and easy to carry. It can be a bandage, or a sling, or even a tourniquet, or stabilize (with a stick) a broken arm, etc

After that, it's more non emergency, but comfort

In the car, I guess the argument can be made, you carry it for someone else to use

just my .01
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"In the car, I guess the argument can be made, you carry it for someone else to use."

Hear you Dave, over 50 years of driving I've only had to be there three times. But needed darned near everything in the box.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 AM

loveforthedryfly is on a distinguished road

Having one in the car is extremely smart! and i need to put one there. I like having one in the field for obvious reason's, fall,cut,sprain. I know im no medical professional so dont have a snake bite kit, but a class for that would be fun! U think id get extra crdit for letting a snake bite me? . But i wouldnt want anything to complicated to where i could hurt someone even more trying to help them.. But i do have the essentials.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I keep a full sized kit in my fishing bag and one in the truck. I also carry a small fly box sized first aid kit in the pouch of my waistpack.

Randy
loveforthedryfly likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
I keep a full sized kit in my fishing bag and one in the truck. I also carry a small fly box sized first aid kit in the pouch of my waistpack.

Randy
Good call Randy. As noted above, if you know what to do with the stuff at hand it's amazing what you could accomplish. In one 'none life threat' was a guy on the beach who broke his lower leg. Still no clue how he could have accomplished that on a flat gravel bar; but he did.

Three of us 'administering' to the the fellow. Chopped down small trees for splints, sliced up shirt for 'bandages wraps' to secure same, couple more small trees for a litter hoist. One guy off his pants, another his coat to make a litter.

Hour'ish later fellow is in the ER getting properly taken care of .....

None life threat, but one of the Doc's came out and asked 'How many of you were in the Military?'

Answer was all of us had. You learn to 'improvise' with what's at hand.

fae
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM

widows son is on a distinguished road

I carry Sting-Eze, glucose tablets, assorted band-aids and butterflies, topical antibiotic in single use packs, sling, snake bite kit, tweezers, sterile wipes, 2 sanitary napkins (in place of gauze pads, cheaper and work better) and tape, aspirin, benadryl, pen light. It all fits in a small pouch. Have a larger kit in the Subaru that goes everywhere with me.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

If you spend any amount of time afield....i would recommend...or a similar program.

SOLO Wilderness Medicine Courses at NOC: WFR, WFA Certification & More

Great investment.

Like others have said...dosent matter what you have, if you have no idea what you are doing..

Jim