The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Re: Gun's!! Who's got em, who leaves em??

I usually carry one - either a .32 or a .380. Never felt the need to carry my .44 fishing.

I suppose it's just a habit with me. I've carried a handgun for about 45 years - even when I lived in MA.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Sounds like fun, but what do you do on a catch and release stream?
Keep it in the trunk
Old 05-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I use to carry for 44 when I fished in Northern MT... Grizz country, now I carry pepper spray. Gun was heavy to pack and wade with... Although I am a pretty good shot, when you have a grizz running you down, I am thinking a cloud of pepper spray will hit the mark better than my shooting ability....

I did have to spray once, not at a grizz directly, but in his direction. I approached a small stream after bush whacking. when I spread the branches to reach the stream.... there he sat. He noticed me but just looked. I tested the spray to see wind direction. All ended well.

This was in the "the Bob", Bob Marshall wilderness in NW MT. Still have vivid memories of that trip.
dean_mt, dhayden and shortyb like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-20-2013, 04:21 PM

loveforthedryfly is on a distinguished road

haha i know my 44. is a lil big for most critters. But if a big grizz or a momma black bear is chargin, well i would want to be ready. Now ive been in extremly close proximity with bears a ton. They dont bother me i dont bother them. But If i do happen to find a mike tyson bear that wants me for lunch ill be ready.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm sorta qualified to comment on back country fishing and dangers associated with it. Although we sometimes are armed the Counter Assault Bear Spray is hard to beat. I would feel confident standing off anything that gave me time for a reaction.

The story below is from the blog here on the forum. In the 60 some entries there are many tales of things that go wrong and some that work out swell.

Here's the link; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...g-up-here.html
dean_mt likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
when you have a grizz running you down, I am thinking a cloud of pepper spray will hit the mark better than my shooting ability....
I'd be worried about falling and shooting myself.

Been on a lot of trips with and without guns. I'm not a real gun guy, but I like them when I'm not at the top of the food chain.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:42 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am not touching this with a 9FT fly rod.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I think to carry, or not, is a function of State Laws and where you're going. I'm sure (even if Oregon is an 'open carry State') there are very few places that it would be needed if just fishing. (Not a combined hunting trip.)

Know a couple of guys who 'carry' damned near in site of Medford on the Rogue. Protection from what? A chipmunk?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM

loveforthedryfly is on a distinguished road

Completely agree. I only carry when im in serious bear country. other than that bear spray will do the job. And I've heard that wasp spray works really good, Dont know just had someone tell me once.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveforthedryfly View Post
Completely agree. I only carry when im in serious bear country. other than that bear spray will do the job. And I've heard that wasp spray works really good, Dont know just had someone tell me once.
Very interesting idea, totally new on on me. Bear spray is just an up graded pepper spray (I think). But a shot of bug spray sounds like it would really hurt. Hate Wasp's; they go right at me. If they're around I have an eppy-pen in my pocket.

Fred