The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gun's!! Who's got em, who leaves em??

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
I carry my M&P 40S&W almost everywhere I go.

Randy
Commander-sized Les Baer 1911.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

I can out smart or out run most things that want to get me. but if I ain't in a runnin or a smart mood, I carry a M&P or a Springfield. I typically carry to protect from the potential harm to others more than myself. I am commonly off the beaten path and commonly with wife and yougnsters. 99.9% of the folks we run into are like minded and are there for the same reasons. Odds are far against any encounter, whether wild or human but I try to make reasonable assumptions as to when a carry situation is at hand.

A lot of folks who refuse to learn how to be proficient with guns depend on those of us who took/take the time to be proficient. And I mean proficient in more than just gun handling. Conceal Carry is a something that should never be taken lightly, as, if and when the situation arises you must be not only physically prepared but in my opinion, most importantly, Emotionally prepared, again whether its human or animal. The quick time frame it happens in and the ramifications of your decision to either fire or not will stay with you for rest of your life.

Guns are a great tool for the right job. I prefer to not let an animal ruin my day because I was a human idiot and did something I wasn't supposed to do and freaked an animal out badly enough to want to attack me. This situation is often one that needs IMMEDIATE reaction, same as a human encounter. When and if you end up with your back against the wall after all other options are exhausted (and it happens lightning fast) then you have an equalizer. I like being the Primary predator when needed for survival, man or beast.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I can out smart or out run most things that want to get me. but if I ain't in a runnin or a smart mood, I carry a M&P or a Springfield. I typically carry to protect from the potential harm to others more than myself. I am commonly off the beaten path and commonly with wife and yougnsters. 99.9% of the folks we run into are like minded and are there for the same reasons. Odds are far against any encounter, whether wild or human but I try to make reasonable assumptions as to when a carry situation is at hand.

A lot of folks who refuse to learn how to be proficient with guns depend on those of us who took/take the time to be proficient. And I mean proficient in more than just gun handling. Conceal Carry is a something that should never be taken lightly, as, if and when the situation arises you must be not only physically prepared but in my opinion, most importantly, Emotionally prepared, again whether its human or animal. The quick time frame it happens in and the ramifications of your decision to either fire or not will stay with you for rest of your life.

Guns are a great tool for the right job. I prefer to not let an animal ruin my day because I was a human idiot and did something I wasn't supposed to do and freaked an animal out badly enough to want to attack me. This situation is often one that needs IMMEDIATE reaction, same as a human encounter. When and if you end up with your back against the wall after all other options are exhausted (and it happens lightning fast) then you have an equalizer. I like being the Primary predator when needed for survival, man or beast.
Really...you can out run a grizzly, black bear or cougar....or rutting moose or elk? Dude, you should be in the olympics.

Places I used to fish and work...were frequented pretty much ALL THE TIME by at least one or more of the list above. Many times, I have been in my belly boat out in the lake...and either had to fast paddle away from curious swimming moose...or watch as a black bear or grizz checked out our back packs (used for packing the tubes into mountain lakes)...and, accchhh...watch as they then jump all over them (not kidding). I've packed into streams to do inventories...where bush visibility is near zero and enter the stream the time as one of the above (mostly bears)...and have a bit of a stand off as I fumble for the arm-du-jour. Most times, these stand offs end peacefully...the odd time...they do not.

Not to be too much of a fear monger...but there is no chance in hell that you outrun anything that wants to have a snack. NOR do you even typically know that you are on the menu. Take a read of a book "Killer Bears"...and many very avid bushmen...have the obituaries cited in that book. Actually and sadly, 2 friends of mine are 'featuered' in that book as well (Chapter called "Worse Bear attack of the century"). I know what I am talking about.

With years in the bush....working mountain streams....I have packed arm-pit holstered Browning FNs, Walther PPKs and Llama 45s into those spots. My favorite grizz buster though...Winchester defender 12 gauge. It picks em up and knocks em back.

King Joe Outa Here!
loveforthedryfly likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Joe- an acquaintance runs the USGS bear school, for their employees who have to be where the big bears are. He has a prop that mimics a charging grizzly, he says it's like stepping into oncoming traffic moving at 35 mph. Their people are trained with, and are allowed to carry only slug-loaded 12 ga. shotguns.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I haven't hunted in many years, and never had the need to carry a firearm while fishing. Not particularly a fan of handguns anyway. Never owned one nor desired to own one. Just not my thing. Have owned several shotguns & rifles throughout my life time, but my only use for any of them was purely hunting.

I learned at a fairly early age I can defend myself with my extremities quite well against 2 legged assailants, and have not fished in to many places I needed to be concerned about the local wildlife.

I've also noticed as far as the 2 legged vermin are concerned, that size matters. I'm a fairly large fellow too @ 6'4" and around 230 lbs, so most such persons are apparently reluctant to bother me. I've been "checked out" a few times, but have yet to have any problems.
dean_mt and loveforthedryfly like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 AM

loveforthedryfly is on a distinguished road

LMAO! haha lol what u mean u cant? the moose isnt what u need to worrie about its them bigfoots!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 PM

bowmanh is on a distinguished road

We're not all 6'4"" and 230. And if you have to deal with a large animal it probably doesn't matter much. So I prefer to have a gun. That said, I like the lightest gun that will provide reasonable protection and that I can shoot well. For me, when hiking or fishing, that is usually a Glock 36 in .45 ACP. It weighs about 24 oz loaded w/ 6 rounds of +P 230 grain flat nose FMJ's. These will penetrate deeply and make a good sized hole which should stop most problems if the hole is in the right place. In grizzly country I like to have bear spray too. These things are just tools though. The best thing is to pay attention and try to avoid trouble before it happens.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmanh View Post
We're not all 6'4"" and 230. And if you have to deal with a large animal it probably doesn't matter much. So I prefer to have a gun. That said, I like the lightest gun that will provide reasonable protection and that I can shoot well. For me, when hiking or fishing, that is usually a Glock 36 in .45 ACP. It weighs about 24 oz loaded w/ 6 rounds of +P 230 grain flat nose FMJ's. These will penetrate deeply and make a good sized hole which should stop most problems if the hole is in the right place. In grizzly country I like to have bear spray too. These things are just tools though. The best thing is to pay attention and try to avoid trouble before it happens.
"Umm, why do you carry a .45?"

"Because they don't make a .46."
cochise and loveforthedryfly like this.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM

gerg is on a distinguished road

I carry my Ruger LCP with me at all times. I like it as it's very light. Will be looking to add a 9mm to carry to replace the .380 probably a Springfield, haven't decided on model yet.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

i dont have guns, but if i did i would carry into b/country.

not to highjack this thread, i have a question for BearSpray people
is there any particular brand/place to get them? i've seen some at walmart for $40 , is that pretty much it?
i have been wanting to get one to have when i go hicking/camping/fishing in the bear country.
but i do hope to try hunting this summer. (want to start small with some birds )
o yea and for right now i just carry a knife, i guess its better then nothing