The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun's!! Who's got em, who leaves em??

Check any of your better sporting/outdoors stores. ebay has some listings also.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

I'm 100 % for gun rights, but I don't own a single firearm myself. Now I have my own personal strategy for avoiding any potential grizzly conflicts when fishing out in the Rockies - I make a real effort to steer clear of their habitat. OK, call me a wuss, but I do a lot of fishing by myself and I just get too involved in the challenges of trying to catch crafty Mr Trout and sooner or later I'd an easy prey for a hungry predator to sneak up on me. So I don't get off the roads too far or into the back country where Grizz is known to be.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:16 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Ruger GP-100 4" bbl .357 Magnum for trips into the deep woods/wilderness areas.

Smith & Wesson 1911 SC .45 ACP for everything else.

I've started carrying bear spray in the last year or so, but honestly when the hike-ins go over 2 miles one way, I start shedding weight, and the spray can gets left behind as a matter of course.

I know, the gun is heavier (nearly 40 oz. with a spare speed loader and holster), but the gun is a more versatile tool. Yes, I can defend myself from two- and four-legged pests, but it also can be a very good noise maker to scare the antagonist in question. It can put food in my stomach in an emergency, help SAR find me, start a fire, and finally it can make do as a club or a hammer. The spray can only spray.

However, I'd like to take a moment to agree with a previous poster concerning training. Owning a piece and taking it to the range once a month is not adequate training to effectively defend yourself from anyone or anything. Part of the cost of ownership is getting adequate training with your firearm. If a person is not willing or able to get that done, then they probably shouldn't carry for defensive purposes, in the wilderness or otherwise.

Peace.

P.S. I should note that when I do carry the spray I'm glad of the option. I have never had an interest in killing bears and lions, so the spray is nice to have, just so I don't have to necessarily kill an animal that's just trying to go about its business.
dean_mt and loveforthedryfly like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I will get bear spray this year, but as for firearms I always carry one so to say do I carry while fishing , by default it is yes

I carry or have in my truck a M&P 9mm compact or Glock 27 everyday. If fishing local on the front range here I carry my Glock 23. If I go in the backcountry I carry a 44mag on a shoulder holster.
loveforthedryfly likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

In NE BC...there was a joke going around...and relative to where this thread is going now.

"In the bush and you come across bear scat (sh*t), how can you tell its a black bear or grizzly?

If its filled with berry seeds and grains, its a black bear....if its filled with bells and smells like pepper (spray), its a grizzly."

This, of course, leads to another joke

"If you are being chased by a bear, how can you tell what kind it is?

If, when being chased, you climb a tree....if the bear climbs the tree after you and eats you, its a black bear. If it picks the tree up...shakes you out then eats you, its a grizzly"

I'll stick to my lead spray (firearms).

King Joe Outa Here!
loveforthedryfly likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM

nm_gringo is on a distinguished road

For fishing its usually a SW 642 in .38. Being stainless steel I dont worry about it getting wet, plus its light weight.

For most camping/hikes its my Remington 1911 in .45acp

For anything deep into the backcountry/backpacking, its my Ruger gp100 4" in .357

I have a ccw and live in NM btw.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
Places I used to fish and work...were frequented pretty much ALL THE TIME by at least one or more of the list above. Many times, I have been in my belly boat out in the lake...and either had to fast paddle away from curious swimming moose...or watch as a black bear or grizz checked out our back packs (used for packing the tubes into mountain lakes)...and, accchhh...watch as they then jump all over them (not kidding). I've packed into streams to do inventories...where bush visibility is near zero and enter the stream the time as one of the above (mostly bears)...and have a bit of a stand off as I fumble for the arm-du-jour. Most times, these stand offs end peacefully...the odd time...they do not.
Joe, for all the time you've spent in the back country, how many times have you had to resort to shooting a moose, bear, cougar, etc.?

And this question goes out to all of you that pack while fishing - how many times have you fired your weapon at an animal? I am honestly curious. I don't carry a sidearm when fishing and I fish where there are bears - both black and grizzly and moose quite often. If I know I am in grizzly bear area or even close, I carry pepper spray.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Joe, for all the time you've spent in the back country, how many times have you had to resort to shooting a moose, bear, cougar, etc.?

And this question goes out to all of you that pack while fishing - how many times have you fired your weapon at an animal? I am honestly curious. I don't carry a sidearm when fishing and I fish where there are bears - both black and grizzly and moose quite often. If I know I am in grizzly bear area or even close, I carry pepper spray.
Never had to pull the trigger. I did draw on an aggressive German Shepherd, had me backed into the water as far as I could go..his owner came out of the woods and called him off. Public open space, leash law, owner looked like he'd been doing speed for about 40 years. As I've said, it's not the wildlife I'm concerned about.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:

I have ran in to two bear cubs.... Peeled out before I got to meet mom
Had a bull moose get in the river with me 15 yards away
Cornered by a 6pt bull elk who wasn't happy
Ran in to a pot grower who had his weed freshly harvested and he was packing a pistol and shotgun. Glad mine was hanging from a shoulder holster in plain view because he stared at it and was amiable when I told him I was just out hiking.

Never had to pull my gun, but plenty glad I had it several times.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Its only a matter of time, every few outings I'm going in the drink, either wading too deep, slipping, or thanks to a (insert drink at the time). To carry while fishing is only going to ruin my collection. All necessity in the case of deranged drug users/dealers, moose, too many fisherman during the salmonfly hatch aside, I'm saying you make enough noise if the territory demands it and you will be fine.

The fear of a "Night of the Grizzly" style attack rarely happens and if that's the case, bears aren't a bumbling Whinney the Pooh type, and they'll be on you anyway. It's amazing to see how many people will walk by a bear and not notice (and vice-versa). Let them know you are coming ahead of time, and scenarios that require either spray or a gun can be avoided.

As to the joke above about bears smelling of pepper and bells in their bellies, we've all heard the stories of families spraying their kids with bear spray mosquito-repellant style and the guy in Yellowstone who sprayed the wolf then jumped into the river (later needing to be rescued.) Guns or spray, its a wild world out there, and you've got to be smart, not necessarily just be packing hot rounds or peppers.
dean_mt likes this.