The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM

revor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gun's!! Who's got em, who leaves em??

This is a good topic!
I'm a "gun guy" I used have many before they got lost in that horrible boat accident.
I have a CCW but I don't carry, not in the city, not in the woods. I carry my hunting weapon when I'm hunting but that's it.
While camping I bring something along as a potential detterent to the two legged type of vermin.

I havev't had the pleasure of cornering a scared animal but perhaps that's because I try very hard not to.

Unless I'm stalking something I'm a noisy guy in the woods...

This all may change if I go to a different place to hunt/fish/camp though.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
And this question goes out to all of you that pack while fishing - how many times have you fired your weapon at an animal? I am honestly curious. I don't carry a sidearm when fishing and I fish where there are bears - both black and grizzly and moose quite often. If I know I am in grizzly bear area or even close, I carry pepper spray.
Not sure if you mean have I ever taken a shot at an animal with any firearm, or with my field piece in particular, so I guess I'll answer you both ways.

Have I ever shot a bullet at an animal? Yes. I have been hunting since I was around 10, harvesting everything from rabbits and game birds to whitetail and feral pigs. I never kept any kind of running count, but let's say a few hundred animals were turned into protein supplements for me and mine over the years.

Have I fired my Ruger, my field piece, at an animal? No. I have been lucky and haven't had to do more than draw the weapon during near-confrontations with potentially dangerous animals. Twice. Five if you count two-legged varmints, but only one of those was in the woods.

By the way, I just want to say here that I don't carry hoping to run into a dangerous situation with a bear or cat or whatever, so I can pull my piece and bang away at it in righteous fervor. In fact, I hope exactly the opposite. I have self-evaluated my proficiency with my sidearm and can safely conclude that I am neither a fast-draw or a crack shot. So I don't harbor illusions of grandeur should a real confrontation occur. If I get my shots off and stop the animal in question I'd be the first to say I got lucky.

But I made a decision a long time ago to prepare myself for the eventuality. So I carry. And I train. And I fervently hope I never have to use that particular piece for the purpose I bought it for. In the meantime, it is a heck of a lot of fun to pop cans with.

Peace.
comeonavs likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Not talking hunting, Rich, as that is not the theme of this thread. I am a big game hunter as well and excitedly await the fall hunting season every year. I killed my largest deer last season, 5 point (10 pt to the Easterners) whitetail, it was an amazing experience I will never forget.

All I know is that if I'm bush wacking around a stream and bump into a grizzly bear, and she wants a piece of me, I better be able to draw and put a .357 slug between her eyes real fast or it isn't going to matter much.

My suspicions have been answered though. Most people carry handguns because it gives them a sense of security. The answers here are all "but I'm glad I had it...just in case" never "it saved my life." I'm not trying to be too judgmental here, because I believe people should be able to legally carry weapons in the woods if they want to, but it's just a different mentality, or outlook. If I am tromping around fishing in grizzly bear country, I darn well know it first of all, and second - I darn well respect it. That means that I am aware and overly cautious, and carrying pepper spray on my belt and make sure it is easily accessible. More grizzly bears are killed in a year because of people not acting responsibly than bears that kill people in probably 5 years.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not talking hunting, Rich, as that is not the theme of this thread. I am a big game hunter as well and excitedly await the fall hunting season every year. I killed my largest deer last season, 5 point (10 pt to the Easterners) whitetail, it was an amazing experience I will never forget.

All I know is that if I'm bush wacking around a stream and bump into a grizzly bear, and she wants a piece of me, I better be able to draw and put a .357 slug between her eyes real fast or it isn't going to matter much.

My suspicions have been answered though. Most people carry handguns because it gives them a sense of security. The answers here are all "but I'm glad I had it...just in case" never "it saved my life." I'm not trying to be too judgmental here, because I believe people should be able to legally carry weapons in the woods if they want to, but it's just a different mentality, or outlook. If I am tromping around fishing in grizzly bear country, I darn well know it first of all, and second - I darn well respect it. That means that I am aware and overly cautious, and carrying pepper spray on my belt and make sure it is easily accessible. More grizzly bears are killed in a year because of people not acting responsibly than bears that kill people in probably 5 years.
Dean I hear you. But I carry both bear spray and a 500 freedom arms pistol in griz. country. Yes there is dumb people out there that put them selves in dangerous situations, however as a former Marine, I prep for worst case sinop. Because My but is going home alive and well, Don't care about what attacking me. Two foot or four feet.
rangerrich99 and nickj like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I figured that's what you meant, but I try not to assume.

And to be honest, as I said before, I have little illusion about my ability to drop an angry/hungry bear or cat in spite of my decades of practice. I have seen 'crack shots,' and I am not included in that number.

However, sad as it is to say, I find that in recent years I am more concerned about the 'two-legged' critters than the four-legged. In fact, I have had more occasion to put my hand on my piece when confronted by humans than by animals in recent memory.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I guess I'm lucky. I can't imagine going fishing and fearing for my life from threat of a person.
blackbugger and williamhj like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:12 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I guess I'm lucky. I can't imagine going fishing and fearing for my life from threat of a person.
Violent crime isn't predictable. I don't go through life in fear of it, but I do go through it in a state of awareness, willing and able to protect my family and myself.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Everything Dean Mt has said in this thread has been right on point. And I didn't have trouble following any of his arguments and questions.....they've all been well stated and clear to follow.

And if I could throw in my .02 cents. I'm a huge gun guy.....I do carry a .30 caliber semi auto rifle around car campgrounds, but would never dream of humping it around the mountains while I fish. It's funny to me how many people carry huge guns into the mountains, yet don't take the correct precautions when it comes to carrying the real stuff that could save your life in the mountains (first aid, emergency shelter, extra clothes, etc). And then there is the issue of driving to the destination. IMO the majority of drivers out there tend to drive too aggressively and speed........and these things are a recipe for disaster
nickj likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
It's funny to me how many people carry huge guns into the mountains, yet don't take the correct precautions when it comes to carrying the real stuff that could save your life in the mountains (first aid, emergency shelter, extra clothes, etc). And then there is the issue of driving to the destination. IMO the majority of drivers out there tend to drive too aggressively and speed........and these things are a recipe for disaster
Agreed. Good points.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Agreed. Good points.
I agree to, I do carry a nice sharp knife, bic lighter in a waterproof bag, sunblock, a few granola bars in case I get lost in the backcountry. This is also a big part if why I carry a gun too. I am sure people will think this is dumb,but if your lost/hurt having a gun to shoot for making noise so people can find you doesn't hurt either.