The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 07:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest on the Bitterroot River.

Fishing report: Below average water levels have some concerned

The Bitterroot River continues in a runoff stage, but is looking a lot better than it did a week ago. While the water levels are still high in most places, they have dropped considerably during the past seven days. It has dropped so much that it has some experts concerned that the water may run out at the end of the season. The river water levels are now below the median levels that have been charged for the past 60 years.

What this means is anyone’s guess, but previous years have been dry in the fall months unless the valley has some rain throughout the summer. These water conditions may be hard on the fish because of lack of habitat. Too many fish crowding large pools can lead to some fish kills when water gets too warm and low. Let’s hope not.

Several fishermen have asked me where the best fishing has been and it has been difficult to pinpoint exactly where the river has been fishing best. It has been difficult to fish the main river, so most fishermen have concentrated on tributaries and side channels.

Since fishing season has started in Montana, all fisheries except some special areas are open to fishing. The best reports have been from small creeks like Tin Cup, Blue Joint, Skalkaho and Mill Creek. The West Fork of the Bitterroot is running about 750 cubic feet per second and fishermen can fish it if they are extremely careful.

The Darby water measuring station is just a little over 2,000 cfs, and when it reaches 1,500 cfs it is usually low enough to put a raft or boat on it to fish. Most raft fishermen will wait until it gets to about 1,000 cfs to be optimal for fishing and a little safer conditions.

A few salmonflies have been spotted throughout the Clark Fork, Rock Creek and Bitterroot systems. The hatch starts at the bottom of the river on the Clark Fork River and proceeds up river at an alarmingly fast pace. Before we know it, the hatch has reached the East and West forks and fishing there can be phenomenal if you can stand the numbers of fishermen and boats on the river.

It is best to wait a little later in the morning to allow the adult salmonflies to dry out a little from the morning dew and begin to return to the river to stimulate the fish. The fish gorge themselves on this protein source and it really stimulates growth of the fish for a short time.

If you are going to fish this weekend, concentrate on the smaller tributaries along the Bitterroot. There are some large fish that have moved into these smaller streams to escape the main flows of the river and the rainbow trout and cutthroat trout have been spawning in these areas. I would recommend Blue Joint and the upper East Fork tributaries for your best results.

Have a great weekend on the Bitterroot.

Bill Bean writes a weekly fly-fishing column for the Saturday Ravalli Republic Outdoors section.
silvertip8k and shortyb like this.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest on the Bitterroot River.

Fred, we've had a lot of rain lately. Without it the flows would be low right now. Definitely had a fast runoff here, everything has leveled off just below historic averages.

Anyway, I've been reading the charts religiously this week to help guide me to the best option for fishing on Monday. The trib creeks down the Root are definitely on the list, along with a few other options I rarely get to once summer is underway. I'll these cricks mentioned in this article on the list. Thanks!
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

It's been pretty chilly here.
Most of the rivers have dropped. I don't think this spells the end of runoff at all.
Our snowpacks are good and actually we just received even more snow in the high peaks of southwest Montana.

I may even make a run down the Yellowstone here in a day or two and chuck big streamers but I know as soon as temps climb back up into the 80s with warm nights it's going to totally blow out again. Right now it's around 10,000. If it drops to around 9,000 at Livingston it could give up a few big fish on BIG streamers.

Unless temps stay unseasonably cool for the next month I think we can expect the rivers to rise again.
I can't speak knowledgeably about the 'Root but I would imagine there is still a good amount of water waiting to come down when the temps go back up.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbugger View Post
It's been pretty chilly here.
Most of the rivers have dropped. I don't think this spells the end of runoff at all.
Our snowpacks are good and actually we just received even more snow in the high peaks of southwest Montana.

I may even make a run down the Yellowstone here in a day or two and chuck big streamers but I know as soon as temps climb back up into the 80s with warm nights it's going to totally blow out again. Right now it's around 10,000. If it drops to around 9,000 at Livingston it could give up a few big fish on BIG streamers.

Unless temps stay unseasonably cool for the next month I think we can expect the rivers to rise again.
I can't speak knowledgeably about the 'Root but I would imagine there is still a good amount of water waiting to come down when the temps go back up.
We had a pretty good snowpack, and I don't think runoff is over here, but the bigger rivers have likely peaked, and it was pretty early for that. There will be more ups and downs for sure.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

All that 'crud' weather that hit you a few days back came right over my head here in So-Oar. 30+ mph winds, torrential rain and then the temp's tanked. New snows gone now, but at 2,000 feet'ish there was close to a foot on the ground.

This AM, at 0630 ..... 33 degrees and frost on neighbor's roofs.