The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 08:36 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Missoula or Basalt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
What I like about Missoula is being a tad closer to higher elevations and having more pinetrees
Many reasons to pick one or the other.. It would be hard to quantify in one trip to each.

Missoula.. is about 1,500 feet lower in elevation than Bozeman.. Bozeman might get colder in winter, but not as warm as Missoula in summer

Bozeman Airport is bigger (about 50%) than Missoula, because it gets more tourists. Bad thing.. it gets more tourist..

A lot of the best rivers (Beaverhead, Big Hole and Missouri)
are eqi-distant to both cities. It sort of comes down to the Clark Fork/Bitterroot v Madison/Yellowstone

Missoula does have 2 Wal-Marts.. lol
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Many reasons to pick one or the other.. It would be hard to quantify in one trip to each.

Missoula.. is about 1,500 feet lower in elevation than Bozeman.. Bozeman might get colder in winter, but not as warm as Missoula in summer

Bozeman Airport is bigger (about 50%) than Missoula, because it gets more tourists. Bad thing.. it gets more tourist..

A lot of the best rivers (Beaverhead, Big Hole and Missouri)
are eqi-distant to both cities. It sort of comes down to the Clark Fork/Bitterroot v Madison/Yellowstone

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I live near Basalt, lived in on and around Basalt for many years. (Woody Creek)

We scouted Bozeman for three years and will probably move there when we can.

Basalt is a great place but I would definitely move to Mis. before Bas.

Western Colorado is NOT where you want to be if you are looking for warm-water fishing opps. The State and the Feds have a full on battle to remove these fish from our area.

The conditions are prime and our local impoundments are producing world class fish but the feds and state bios are concerned about four endangered fish we have in the Colorado, Yampa and Gunnison rivers...So out with the new sport fish.

Either way you will be doing yourself a big favor and I would be in Montana right now if it wasn't for the giant brood we are hauling around. But for the time being I am pretty pleased with where we are at.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 PM

fishnskiguy has a spectacular aura aboutfishnskiguy has a spectacular aura aboutfishnskiguy has a spectacular aura about

We live in Eagle, CO and go up to Island Park ID/West Yellowstone/Bozeman for two weeks almost every year. I'd take Bozeman over Missoula in a heartbeat, primarily due to the easy access to YNP.

Every time I think about moving to Bozeman I check the weather on the internet. Right now it's 74 deg. F here and 53 in Bozeman. I think we will stay here.

I do love the fishing up there, though.

Chris
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
We live in Eagle, CO and go up to Island Park ID/West Yellowstone/Bozeman for two weeks almost every year. I'd take Bozeman over Missoula in a heartbeat, primarily due to the easy access to YNP.

Every time I think about moving to Bozeman I check the weather on the internet. Right now it's 74 deg. F here and 53 in Bozeman. I think we will stay here.

I do love the fishing up there, though.

Chris
Went down into YNP yesterday.. fished the Firehole and Madison, back home for early dinner.. it was great

Our normal for today would be 71.. so we're not too far behind you.. just have a couple light rain storms coming through.. it's 63 as I type this

Almanac: KTVM Local First Alert Weather Source for Butte, Bozeman and Surrounding Areas
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Hey man! Welcome aboard. I'm not a warm water fisherman...because the Missoula area is a coldwater fishery! You could find some if you really wanted it, but it wouldn't be worth your time if that is what you wanted to fish here. Missoula doesn't have any lakes or ponds in the general vicinity -- there are some -- but generally the Missoula area is about trout in moving water.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Yer a piece of work Dave! Bozeman's 19th St (or whatever street that is) is trying too hard to become Missoula's Reserve. And it's a damn shame. Yes there are two Wal-Marts only a couple miles apart. Ahh....progress...
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
...Yer a piece of work Dave! Bozeman's 19th St (or whatever street that is) is trying too hard to become Missoula's Reserve...
I think that's just what happens when the town is a hub. Bozeman (like many of Montana's bigger town/cities) has the stores, so people in 50-75 mile radius come here to do big shopping. And easy access to the interstate helps that, so 19th becomes that shopping zone.

And I'd rather see that than strip malls spread all through town, and leave those green belt areas. Basically, if it's not on one of 3 streets here (7th, 19th, Main/Huffine) - we don't have it

Original poster: There's always Kalispell and Helena (I haven't spent enough time in great Falls) - Airports, shopping and close to fishing

If I could go small town.. I'd have a whole 'nother list