The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Missoula or Basalt?

Looking at taking a road trip mid-late August and I'm thinking of either hitting the Missoula area or Basalt, Co.

I have never been to either area and the trip will be used as a preliminary scouting mission to looking at fishing opportunities, towns, ammenities, etc. for a future move.

I know I would enjoy each area so a bit about what I like in terms of fishing. I enjoy Trout and know either area would be fantastic, however I also REALLY enjoy warm water fly fishing for Bass, Pike and Muskie. Now, I also have a professed love/addiction for Steelhead, having grown up fishing the Great Lakes tribs. I think Colorado offers more warm water opportunities, but Montana offers fairly close access to Steelhead. I know each place will also allow me to blast ducks and geese.

What says the boards?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Missoula or Basalt?

I did the same last summer and picked MT. The trip was a scouting/fishing trip and we thought we might move 10 years down the road. It haunted me daily and now we are moving West next month....9 years early. We really liked Missoula but decided to start in Bozeman. I can't speak to Basalt but Missoula is a cool town with a ton to offer in the area.

Enjoy your trip and be ready to move soon after. That place really messes with your head.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
I did the same last summer and picked MT. The trip was a scouting/fishing trip and we thought we might move 10 years down the road. It haunted me daily and now we are moving West next month....9 years early. We really liked Missoula but decided to start in Bozeman. I can't speak to Basalt but Missoula is a cool town with a ton to offer in the area.

Enjoy your trip and be ready to move soon after. That place really messes with your head.
Could you elaboate as to why you chose Bozeman?

I already know I will not want to leave! I have lived in a few places and only one has really stuck with me, Northwest Ontario Canada. The fiance and I have already discussed the possibility of each of us being in a different place for a year or two to make the move possible (her job is too good to give up at this point).

The Arizona desert and hot weather are not for me. I miss the four seasons, winter fishing and waterfowl hunting. I know the logistics of the move will not be easy, but I think it could work!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Missoula or Basalt?

Hands down ..... Missoula.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

For me in order of relevance was fishing, skiing, airport. I work on a ship so I spend three weeks at home and then fly to work for three weeks. We hope to continue to travel a bit and when I did research it seemed like flights out of BZN were cheaper....I could be wrong. That being said 90% of the reason we are moving is so that we live where we want to vacation. Outside of the occasional trip for salt water fly trips I don't plan to leave the state much as flights will be much more expensive then we are accustomed to. I call it the trout tax and made peace with it.

Originally we were going to Missoula but a few other people steered us towards Bozeman due to the number of rivers in that radius and Bridger Bowel and Big Sky. In all reality I think we will eventually move towards Missoula or possibly Craig someday as we really liked both areas. My wife still isn't quite ready to live out in the sticks yet...baby steps.

For anyone that lives in MT now I apologize another out of stater is coming in.....we will be respectful of your home.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
For me in order of relevance was fishing, skiing, airport. I work on a ship so I spend three weeks at home and then fly to work for three weeks. We hope to continue to travel a bit and when I did research it seemed like flights out of BZN were cheaper....I could be wrong. That being said 90% of the reason we are moving is so that we live where we want to vacation. Outside of the occasional trip for salt water fly trips I don't plan to leave the state much as flights will be much more expensive then we are accustomed to. I call it the trout tax and made peace with it.

Originally we were going to Missoula but a few other people steered us towards Bozeman due to the number of rivers in that radius and Bridger Bowel and Big Sky. In all reality I think we will eventually move towards Missoula or possibly Craig someday as we really liked both areas. My wife still isn't quite ready to live out in the sticks yet...baby steps.

For anyone that lives in MT now I apologize another out of stater is coming in.....we will be respectful of your home.

I appreciate the insight.

There is a ton of water in that area. I will have a look there as we will go through Bozeman, Twin Bridges and Missoula. What I like about Missoula is being a tad closer to higher elevations and having more pinetrees (dumb, I know).

I also know that there is good Steelhead fishing within 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Missoula, along with some decent Bass opportunities and I believe Pike. Also, Fernie is only about 5 hours away. From what I gather, I believe the cost of living is a bit lower in Missoula as well.

Too many decisions, just get me there!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM

I agree with everything you said...including the pine trees. I look at it as both towns are awesome but different. Sounds like Missoula is right for you. My buddy lives in Anaconda and they got snow last week.....it's an awesome state!

Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:51 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

The last time Basalt was worth visiting or living in...

Click the image to open in full size.

... was when those vehicles were still on the road...

Too many people, too expensive, waters way too crowded...

Around here...

Click the image to open in full size.

...much mo' betta'...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 PM

planettrout.....

Where you be that it be mo' better?

Looks like some good duck and goose blasting habitate too!

I do have to say, I think I may take a winter trip to the 'Pan this year! God, how I miss winter fishing!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:02 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
planettrout.....

Where you be that it be mo' better?

Looks like some good duck and goose blasting habitate too!

I do have to say, I think I may take a winter trip to the 'Pan this year! God, how I miss winter fishing!
I lived in Aspen, in 1975, and almost bought Chuck Fothergill's Shop with George Odier in 1981...The Roaring Fork Valley was loading up with people around then and I saw the handwriting on the wall... stayed in Los Angeles in the entertainment biz.

I have spent a lot of time in and around the towns on the North side of YNP and really like those places...that second photo is at $3.00 Bridge, on the Madison, which can get crowded unless one is willing to hike a bit. There are plenty of other places I go where I rarely see another person all day, in Montana...it used to be that way on the Fork and Pan and now, limited access has become a real problem on those waters...compared to what it once was...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/