The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By pjosh6
  • 2 Post By trout champ
  • 3 Post By jpbfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 AM

pjosh6 is on a distinguished road
Default New or at least returning fisher....

Hello all. I am newly returning to fly fishing after about 15 yrs. Didnt really know much when I did try when I was a kid but been having some luck here in the pueblo Co area. Hope to gain some good information browsing the area. Have a good one...
williamhj and yonder like this.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New or at least returning fisher....

The Pueblo Tailwater of the Arkansas River has turned into one of the best urban fisheries anywhere around. Big fish, new stream improvements, C&R and flies/lures only regs in place. Good stuff. Check out the Drift Fly Shop on HWY 50 behind the Carl's Jr. they are dialed in and can get you going on both warm/cold water.

Randy
williamhj and shortyb like this.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Yeah Champ, I have been there quite a few times and those guys are real helpful. I bought a new rod and reel there a few months ago. The tailwater has been a good learning experience for me to try. I want to try the resevoir soon also and go try some different streams. Just not sure where to head ffirst....
Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum....and welcome back to...flyfishing
shortyb, yonder and pjosh6 like this.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjosh6 View Post
Yeah Champ, I have been there quite a few times and those guys are real helpful. I bought a new rod and reel there a few months ago. The tailwater has been a good learning experience for me to try. I want to try the resevoir soon also and go try some different streams. Just not sure where to head ffirst....
With runoff I would stick to the tailwaters. 11 Mile Canyon and the Dream Stream. And Deckers if you can find a spot to fish.
11 MC will start to have awesome trico hatches in the morning real soon. Deckers will start popping with caddis, like biblical style hatches of caddis, pretty soon too.
The flows were just bumped up on the Dream Stream and the will hopefully get some fresh fish in the river and maybe a couple of those big boys!

Randy
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM

Okay thanks Champ.. I was actually looking at reports and information on the dream streams and 11 mile. Was thinking about trying tomorrow or friday.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

i call P-town home, and I second the Drift, used to be Ark Anglers. Go in and ask for Alex, he is a wealth of info! even if he is not around the other folks there will point you in the right direction. if you want to get into small creeks drive about 30 minutes south west towards CO City, there is a neat little creek you can access up 165 that is super fun to fish once the run off calms down.