The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By cochise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Off the beaten path.

Wife and I were looking for a place to get away from people this weekend, and she wanted to be close to home, dog friendly, and of course good fishing. Ha.

We headed up to the Uncompaghre and went in search of a small creek I discovered for the first time while Turkey hunting this year. It is remote and does require a four wheel drive in, a four wheeler ride and then a hike.

I saw some nice spawners in their a month ago but the water was now pretty low. The beavers have made nice sanctuaries for the fish to chill during the hot summer months on this low flow creek and the fish were hungry.

Click the image to open in full size.

They were also wary and getting within casting range was often a lesson in futility. Soon we were on our bellies and casting with only our rod in the air.

Success was good with fish to 16" which was very surprising for this creek. I saw larger fish but they bested us both. They were reluctant to near the surface so we fished wet and when the fly met the water without the fish feeling alarmed by our presence they struck with great aggression.

While crawling to a fish we dropped our camera out of a pocket and then proceeded to cover it up with sand and dirt as we scooted away. We soon hooked a fish and when I went for the camera it was gone.

We went back and looked and back tracked and searched over and over, now well over an hour. We were shocked because it was fairly open ground. Wife was really bummed because we decided to go and forget the camera, it was a fluke, a crazy thing we could not find it.

After gathering our packs and gear, we were hiking out and wife said lets hit this good hole one more time. She is now getting very confident with the rod and fly, and has become my favorite fishing companion.

She crawled to the waters edge and situated behind a thick willow and quietly casted out into the whole on the other side as to not spook the fish and floated the fly into the feeding lane and Bam! Set! She had a another good fish on. As I tried to land it for her, I grabbed the line like and absolute moron and the fish spit the hook.

Ruth said it's ok as we don't have a camera anyways. She reeled in her line and hooked her fly and said let's march. She glanced down and out of the dirt was sticking the strap to the camera. Only the strap, we had fully buried it while belly crawling.

It was a great Memorial Day weekend. I am honored to have such freedom to go out and enjoy such excellence in nature. Thank you to all those who gave the greatest sacrifice of all so that I could enjoy this great land of ours with freedom and security.

What a great time of the year to be out. The flowers and grasses are happy and healthy. The smell of outside was incredible! Fish on.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Off the beaten path.

Great write up to go along with a great day.

Fred
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Off the beaten path.

Sounds like a great day! Fishing new areas/waters is always fun, looks like the hookups were nice too . Creek fishing love!

B
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just great to see these posts, love em!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Really nice looking creek. A four wheel drive then four wheeler then a hike can lead to a nice secluded little spot. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Freakin' awesome is all I can say. Gorgeous fish and scenery. Keep em coming.