The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM

gwd is on a distinguished road
Default Taylor River 5 mile stretch closed to fishing due to road construction

I heard that the Taylor river would be closed to fishing in a 5 mile stretch from the post office up to the first bridge. This closure will be from June 1 thru September or October. I have a trip planned in early Sept. and that is my favorite water. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the Hog trough?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taylor River 5 mile stretch closed to fishing due to road construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwd View Post

I heard that the Taylor river would be closed to fishing in a 5 mile stretch from the post office up to the first bridge. This closure will be from June 1 thru September or October. I have a trip planned in early Sept. and that is my favorite water. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the Hog trough?
That makes sense... I'll be there for a week in late June and another in late August... @#&*#!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taylor River 5 mile stretch closed to fishing due to road construction

Update:

I've here in Almont with my family for a few days. River Road is closed to thru traffic as described; however, if you don't mind hoofing it you can access it on foot.

Jacks Cabin Road (just past Roaring Judy hatchery on route 135) is the detour that puts you back on River Road allowing access to the rest of the canyon. The new road in the canyon is fantastic by the way. We took a ride up to the lake yesterday and there must be a least a dozen paved pull-offs (maybe more) for angler access.

As far as other fishing options (and not the hog trough) the rest of the canyon is good fishing and there are miles of public access on the Gunnison between Almont and Blue Mesa.
mcnerney and cochise like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM

gwd is on a distinguished road

Thanks Stenacron. I had heard that the river was closed where the road was closed. I am glad to hear that it is open as far as I can walk.

I have fished the Gunnison from Almont down to the first campground and another section closer to the town. I may be missing what is available. Can you tell me your source or a source to find out what is public access.

Is there public access on the Gunnison below Blue Mesa?

I really appreciate your response. I have just learned about a section of the Tomichi east of town that is available for fishing. (Tomichi Creek State Wildlife Area)

I have heard that the East has a few public access points above roaring Judy. Have you ever fished them?

As a boy (50 years ago) my best fishing memory was catching 2 20 inch Browns rising on the East at Roaring Judy. Needless to say I still go back looking for more.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:10 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwd View Post
Is there public access on the Gunnison below Blue Mesa?

yes there is but prepare yourself for a pretty intense hike. the black canyon is great fishing.