The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

1fish is on a distinguished road
Default Southeastern Wyoming

Hello, I've been visiting this site since last fall, while I was planning a cross county trip during the months of October and November 2012. The trip was from Southern CA to PA, then down to FL and then back to CA. I drove across I-80, planning to spend a few days fishing in WY.As it worked out, I spent a couple days camping and fishing at the Miracle Mile on the N Platte and another day poking around and fishing in the town of Saratoga, before heading to PA. I kind of liked the area around Saratoga and Encampment and I'm going to make another trip there this July.

Every year I meet up with my cousin from PA, for a fishing trip. Usually I pick him up at the Reno airport and we fish the Eastern Sierras. Mainly we fish the East Walker, the East Carson, Hot Creek, or a few other places.

This year, for a change of pace, I'm going to pick him up in Cheyenne. His flight to Laramie was canceled last week, so he rebooked to a flight to Cheyenne. I am picking him up at the airport, on a Saturday and dropping him off the following Friday, so we have about 5 1/2 days to camp and fish.

On this trip, like most others, the only absolute plans of the trip, is when I'm picking him up and when I'm dropping him off at the airport. I usually have a rough plan of where we are going to fish. So far the plan for this trip, is to set up camp at the Encampment river CG and then hike upstream and spend a night or two camped along the river trail and fish the river a few mile upstream from the CG. Then, after that spend the next couple of days fishing the North Platte or Encampment, based out of the Encampment river CG.

Being that I have only been to the area for a few days in October, it's a little hard to know what to expect in July. I've done a good bit of research on the internet, but that is, what it is. Is this a decent plan that would make for a good trip, or should I look more to one of the campgrounds on the N Platte and base the bulk of trip there? Or instead of hiking the Encampment, hike the N Platte?

Any insight, recommendations, or cautions are more than welcome. I'm pretty sure the river conditions should be okay that time of year, but I'm not sure about the crowds or availability of campsites. Are bears a problem? Sorry for he long post. Thanks for your time and knowledge.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM

revor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Southeastern Wyoming

It should be a fun trip, Wyoming has many online resources to help you out regarding fishing and camping access.
As for weather, I expect anything in July Along your path it could freeze at night, rain and hail like mad during the day or cook you with a 90 degree (rare) day. Plan for it all.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what revor said about what to expect on wx.
You might consider reserving a camping cabin at the Lazy Acres Campground in Riverside (just south of Encampment).....they have showers! There is a cafe right across the street so you don't have to cook all your meals and next door is a nice little bar for liquid refreshments at the end of the day.
Lazy Acres Campground and Motel, Riverside, Wyoming

Get yourself a copy of the Medicine Bow National Forest Map and explore French Creek and Douglas Creeks along with your current plans. You won't be disappointed. You will be in bear country, get yourself a can of bear spray and you will most likely never see a bear, but at least you will be prepared in case it happens.
shortyb likes this.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Take Larry's advice. He is from the area and knows what to expect and is a wealth of information.

Another thought would be the the North Platte below Lake Ogallala in Nebraska (~180mi East of Cheyenne). It has an abundance of monster tailwater Rainbows, and decent size browns and cutthroats. If you want more information feel free to send me a PM.

Chase
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM

revor is on a distinguished road

PM Me and I'll tell you of a very nice place to fish and camp.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 AM

1fish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Get yourself a copy of the Medicine Bow National Forest Map and explore French Creek and Douglas Creeks along with your current plans. You won't be disappointed. You will be in bear country, get yourself a can of bear spray and you will most likely never see a bear, but at least you will be prepared in case it happens.
Thanks Larry, I already have a map of the Medicine Bow NF, but here's a online version of the same map, that maybe of interest to someone. You can click on the map a few times to enlarge it and get a much better detailed view of the map. Larger and easier to see than the paper version.

As far as bears go, I'm not real concerned with running into one while on the trail or fishing. I'm more concerned with one visiting camp at night or when no ones in camp.

Here's a link to the Medicine Bow NF east map there's also a west map.

Medicine Bow NF Visitor Map 1998 - Central & Eastern Portions

Here's a link to the link of where this map came from. There are other maps here for the Shoshone, Bighorn, and Back Hills National Forest. Just scroll over the area of interest, and a menu will pop up.

US Forest Service, R2 Rocky Mountain Region - Wyoming Recreation Map

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor View Post
PM Me and I'll tell you of a very nice place to fish and camp.
PM sent revor, thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 AM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

The Snowy Range in the Medicine Bow NF east of Saratoga is absolutely beautiful. I've only been through there once, and didn't have time to fish or hike into the backcountry, but have been itching to go back since. Someone else would have to give fishing advice, but I think the surroundings would make a couple days worthwhile, even if the fishing isn't as great as some of the bigger ranges.