The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Camping around the Frying Pan River? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/321934-camping-around-frying-pan-river.html)

bmfa 06-10-2013 11:00 PM

Camping around the Frying Pan River?

Hey Guys, Me and the wife are heading over to the west slope to fish the Frying Pan for our 22nd anniversary in a few weeks. Have'nt fished over that side in many years and was wondering if theres a campground on the Frying Pan or close by? The great thing is that this was her idea:D Love my fishing partner.

Hardyreels 06-10-2013 11:54 PM

Re: Camping around the Frying Pan River?

Hi Bob,

I haven't been there for many years but didn't know of public camping at or near the river. I have camped up above Aspen (quite a drive) at the White River National Forest camp ground. I would googel and then make some calls, call Frying Pan Angler in Basalt, they are still there and will know.

Ard

planettrout 06-11-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfa (Post 563529)
Hey Guys, Me and the wife are heading over to the west slope to fish the Frying Pan for our 22nd anniversary in a few weeks. Have'nt fished over that side in many years and was wondering if theres a campground on the Frying Pan or close by? The great thing is that this was her idea:D Love my fishing partner.

Above Ruedi Reservoir:

White River National Forest - Mollie B Campground

PT/TB

mcnerney 06-11-2013 05:51 AM

There also is a campground along the Colorado River/I-80 before you get into Glenwood Springs, but I think the one PT pointed out would be closer to your fishing.

cochise 06-11-2013 08:02 AM

I just came off the Pan for the weekend.

Camping along the Pan is basically a zero.

My suggestion is to go above the Reservoir to camp. There are many places and I would be happy to give you more details if you need, shoot me a pm.

The upper Pan has a ton of water to fish with less crowds. And some great creek fishing up high as well.

fredaevans 06-11-2013 10:08 AM

Slightly off topic but anyone know the history of the name of this river?

fae

vitesse304 06-11-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 563613)
Slightly off topic but anyone know the history of the name of this river?

fae

Legend has it two prospectors or settlers were mining and trapping beavers in the area when they were ambushed by Indians. One got away and ran for help, but when he came back, his buddy was no where to be found and all that was left was a frying pan hanging in a tree.

I've also heard that there was a town called Frying Pan just outside of Basalt and that's how the river got it's name...

But the 1st story sounds more exciting.
:)

bmfa 06-11-2013 04:53 PM

Thanks guys for the input, Just made my reservation for camping at Mollie B.
Thanks again Cochise for the pm.
I'll let ya all know how we did when we get back..
Bob

fredaevans 06-11-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfa (Post 563710)
Thanks guys for the input, Just made my reservation for camping at Mollie B.
Thanks again Cochise for the pm.
I'll let ya all know how we did when we get back..
Bob

This is one of the great things about this Forum. You are headed to a place you've never seen (short of Google Earth) and you get hard information that you can count on. Can the reply tell you what rock to stand on? Frequently yes, and why not?

fae

planettrout 06-12-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 563737)
This is one of the great things about this Forum. You are headed to a place you've never seen (short of Google Earth) and you get hard information that you can count on. Can the reply tell you what rock to stand on? Frequently yes, and why not?

fae

Almost freadaevans...the largest Rainbow I ever caught, on that river, came just in front of this big flat rock, on the Frying Pan...

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...psb6f296ce.jpg

PT/TB :p