The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 PM

bmfa is on a distinguished road
Default Camping around the Frying Pan River?

Hey Guys, Me and the wife are heading over to the west slope to fish the Frying Pan for our 22nd anniversary in a few weeks. Have'nt fished over that side in many years and was wondering if theres a campground on the Frying Pan or close by? The great thing is that this was her idea Love my fishing partner.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Camping around the Frying Pan River?

Hi Bob,

I haven't been there for many years but didn't know of public camping at or near the river. I have camped up above Aspen (quite a drive) at the White River National Forest camp ground. I would googel and then make some calls, call Frying Pan Angler in Basalt, they are still there and will know.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfa View Post
Hey Guys, Me and the wife are heading over to the west slope to fish the Frying Pan for our 22nd anniversary in a few weeks. Have'nt fished over that side in many years and was wondering if theres a campground on the Frying Pan or close by? The great thing is that this was her idea Love my fishing partner.
Above Ruedi Reservoir:

White River National Forest - Mollie B Campground

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

There also is a campground along the Colorado River/I-80 before you get into Glenwood Springs, but I think the one PT pointed out would be closer to your fishing.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I just came off the Pan for the weekend.

Camping along the Pan is basically a zero.

My suggestion is to go above the Reservoir to camp. There are many places and I would be happy to give you more details if you need, shoot me a pm.

The upper Pan has a ton of water to fish with less crowds. And some great creek fishing up high as well.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Camping around the Frying Pan River?

Slightly off topic but anyone know the history of the name of this river?

fae
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Slightly off topic but anyone know the history of the name of this river?

fae
Legend has it two prospectors or settlers were mining and trapping beavers in the area when they were ambushed by Indians. One got away and ran for help, but when he came back, his buddy was no where to be found and all that was left was a frying pan hanging in a tree.

I've also heard that there was a town called Frying Pan just outside of Basalt and that's how the river got it's name...

But the 1st story sounds more exciting.
fredaevans and bmfa like this.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 PM

bmfa is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the input, Just made my reservation for camping at Mollie B.
Thanks again Cochise for the pm.
I'll let ya all know how we did when we get back..
Bob
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Camping around the Frying Pan River?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfa View Post
Thanks guys for the input, Just made my reservation for camping at Mollie B.
Thanks again Cochise for the pm.
I'll let ya all know how we did when we get back..
Bob
This is one of the great things about this Forum. You are headed to a place you've never seen (short of Google Earth) and you get hard information that you can count on. Can the reply tell you what rock to stand on? Frequently yes, and why not?

fae
bmfa likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
This is one of the great things about this Forum. You are headed to a place you've never seen (short of Google Earth) and you get hard information that you can count on. Can the reply tell you what rock to stand on? Frequently yes, and why not?

fae
Almost freadaevans...the largest Rainbow I ever caught, on that river, came just in front of this big flat rock, on the Frying Pan...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
mcnerney, fredaevans and lacanadio like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/