The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helena, MT 6/20-6/22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
New Hyde being brought up from Idaho Falls to a dealer there.

I actually wanted a Clacka, but finding a used one proved to be a tough task. For the money, this Hyde should serve me well, even if it isn't quite as nice as some of the Clacka boats.

Oh we WILL be floating the Missouri. I've been told flows are low, and obstructions almost non-existent. That's a good thing because this is my first drift boat, and I don't want to be on a raging torrent my first time out.

I'd thought about fishing the Big Horn as well. So many options, so little time!
Can't blame you on the first choice of a Clack; easiest boat to get in/out I've ever been in (for context I'm 71). Rows a treat even with an old fart on the sticks.

That said, as this is NEW to you, find a close by lake where you can launch and just row around and get used to the sticks, boat turn, alternate oar use to spin the boat (set up into fast water), etc.

Learning "how" to row a boat on a river is not a safe thing to do 90% of the time. That other 10% is you're with someone who already know how to row. And he will be yelling at you: 'Right oar! Pull, Pull, both oars-PULL, Put your back into it!!'** Etc. And don't forget the 45 degree 'Rule.'

JUST TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!

Fred

** If you do get the PULL! PULL!! You may already waited to long to adjust.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

you want easy in: Pavati Fishing Boats | Drift Boats | Power Boats

make sure they give you the copy of the Hyde DVD.. it might help some too

I'll be in the minority.. and say I prefer the Hyde, and prefer the High Side to low side, even if it's harder to get in/out
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I'm waiting for the update on this trip, Ted...
Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Trip report will be posted tomorrow. I'm still in recovery mode.