Helena, MT 6/20-6/22

ted4887

Reaction score
A friend and myself are going to be road tripping out to Helena next week to pick up a new drift boat. I'm looking for recommendations for good tent camping areas, and if you would be so kind, some good areas to fish. Chances are, we'll take the new drift boat onto the Missouri one day, but we also would like to get into a nice walk and wade area too. Anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Helena is fine by us.

As far as the fishing goes, I don't need any hotspots, just general ideas. Point me in the right direction, and I'll figure out the rest. Don't hesitate to send me a private message. If you can't offer any fishing tips, camping advice is definitely needed because I think we're going to need to make some reservations ASAP.

Any specific hatches that we should be prepared for? Certain flies that work well for you on both the Missouri, and other local rivers around there will be welcome too. We're both making our first trip out west specifically to fish so any help is welcome.

Thanks

dean_mt

Reaction score
Ted, that is awesome, sounds like a fun trip. You have to take the maiden voyage in your new boat on the Missouri. Do you hear me? ...HAVE TO! ;)

I mean you will be right there, a few miles from one of the best fisheries anywhere, with a new drift boat!

On your way home, if you are taking I90, you could consider dropping S and floating the Big Horn. Then you'd have hit two of most productive tailwaters in the West.

PM sent re: wading streams...

ted4887

Reaction score
adipose skiff?
New Hyde being brought up from Idaho Falls to a dealer there.

I actually wanted a Clacka, but finding a used one proved to be a tough task. For the money, this Hyde should serve me well, even if it isn't quite as nice as some of the Clacka boats.

dean_mt said:
Ted, that is awesome, sounds like a fun trip. You have to take the maiden voyage in your new boat on the Missouri. Do you hear me? ...HAVE TO!

I mean you will be right there, a few miles from one of the best fisheries anywhere, with a new drift boat!

On your way home, if you are taking I90, you could consider dropping S and floating the Big Horn. Then you'd have hit two of most productive tailwaters in the West.

PM sent re: wading streams...

Oh we WILL be floating the Missouri. I've been told flows are low, and obstructions almost non-existent. That's a good thing because this is my first drift boat, and I don't want to be on a raging torrent my first time out. :eek:

I'd thought about fishing the Big Horn as well. So many options, so little time!

mtdave

Reaction score
A trip down the Mighty Mo with your new boat then on to the Yellowstone for a quick bird float[pm me for more info] is what I would do. Then via Cooke hit the Lamar on your way to Fort Smith.....then....

dhayden

Reaction score
A trip down the Mighty Mo with your new boat then on to the Yellowstone for a quick bird float[pm me for more info] is what I would do. Then via Cooke hit the Lamar on your way to Fort Smith.....then....
lol.. this post should be about 4 pages long

ted4887

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't be surprised by the generosity of the people on this forum, but I am. I'm really appreciative of all of the help that has been offered in an attempt to help make this trip a memorable one. I promise that it won't all be for nothing. Pictures will be posted next week for sure!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ted: You are going to love that new drift boat, have a safe trip. Looking forward to your trip report.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
New Hyde being brought up from Idaho Falls to a dealer there.

I actually wanted a Clacka, but finding a used one proved to be a tough task. For the money, this Hyde should serve me well, even if it isn't quite as nice as some of the Clacka boats.

Oh we WILL be floating the Missouri. I've been told flows are low, and obstructions almost non-existent. That's a good thing because this is my first drift boat, and I don't want to be on a raging torrent my first time out. :eek:

I'd thought about fishing the Big Horn as well. So many options, so little time!
Can't blame you on the first choice of a Clack; easiest boat to get in/out I've ever been in (for context I'm 71). Rows a treat even with an old fart on the sticks.

That said, as this is NEW to you, find a close by lake where you can launch and just row around and get used to the sticks, boat turn, alternate oar use to spin the boat (set up into fast water), etc.

Learning "how" to row a boat on a river is not a safe thing to do 90% of the time. That other 10% is you're with someone who already know how to row. And he will be yelling at you: 'Right oar! Pull, Pull, both oars-PULL, Put your back into it!!'** Etc. And don't forget the 45 degree 'Rule.'

JUST TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!:ranting3:

Fred

** If you do get the PULL! PULL!! You may already waited to long to adjust.