The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Helena, MT 6/20-6/22 (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/322078-helena-mt-6-20-6-22-a.html)

ted4887 06-12-2013 04:20 PM

Helena, MT 6/20-6/22

A friend and myself are going to be road tripping out to Helena next week to pick up a new drift boat. I'm looking for recommendations for good tent camping areas, and if you would be so kind, some good areas to fish. Chances are, we'll take the new drift boat onto the Missouri one day, but we also would like to get into a nice walk and wade area too. Anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Helena is fine by us.

As far as the fishing goes, I don't need any hotspots, just general ideas. Point me in the right direction, and I'll figure out the rest. Don't hesitate to send me a private message. If you can't offer any fishing tips, camping advice is definitely needed because I think we're going to need to make some reservations ASAP.

Any specific hatches that we should be prepared for? Certain flies that work well for you on both the Missouri, and other local rivers around there will be welcome too. We're both making our first trip out west specifically to fish so any help is welcome.

Thanks

dean_mt 06-12-2013 04:53 PM

Re: Helena, MT 6/20-6/22

Ted, that is awesome, sounds like a fun trip. You have to take the maiden voyage in your new boat on the Missouri. Do you hear me? ...HAVE TO! ;)

I mean you will be right there, a few miles from one of the best fisheries anywhere, with a new drift boat!

On your way home, if you are taking I90, you could consider dropping S and floating the Big Horn. Then you'd have hit two of most productive tailwaters in the West.

PM sent re: wading streams...

mikel 06-12-2013 05:01 PM

adipose skiff?

ted4887 06-12-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 563939)
adipose skiff?

New Hyde being brought up from Idaho Falls to a dealer there.

I actually wanted a Clacka, but finding a used one proved to be a tough task. For the money, this Hyde should serve me well, even if it isn't quite as nice as some of the Clacka boats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt
Ted, that is awesome, sounds like a fun trip. You have to take the maiden voyage in your new boat on the Missouri. Do you hear me? ...HAVE TO!

I mean you will be right there, a few miles from one of the best fisheries anywhere, with a new drift boat!

On your way home, if you are taking I90, you could consider dropping S and floating the Big Horn. Then you'd have hit two of most productive tailwaters in the West.

PM sent re: wading streams...

Oh we WILL be floating the Missouri. I've been told flows are low, and obstructions almost non-existent. That's a good thing because this is my first drift boat, and I don't want to be on a raging torrent my first time out. :eek:

I'd thought about fishing the Big Horn as well. So many options, so little time!

mcnerney 06-12-2013 05:18 PM

Ted: Sent you a PM.

Larry

mtdave 06-12-2013 08:19 PM

A trip down the Mighty Mo with your new boat then on to the Yellowstone for a quick bird float[pm me for more info] is what I would do. Then via Cooke hit the Lamar on your way to Fort Smith.....then....

dhayden 06-13-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdave (Post 563982)
A trip down the Mighty Mo with your new boat then on to the Yellowstone for a quick bird float[pm me for more info] is what I would do. Then via Cooke hit the Lamar on your way to Fort Smith.....then....

lol.. this post should be about 4 pages long

ted4887 06-13-2013 08:41 PM

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the generosity of the people on this forum, but I am. I'm really appreciative of all of the help that has been offered in an attempt to help make this trip a memorable one. I promise that it won't all be for nothing. Pictures will be posted next week for sure!

mcnerney 06-13-2013 08:44 PM

Ted: You are going to love that new drift boat, have a safe trip. Looking forward to your trip report.

dhayden 06-14-2013 09:58 AM

One other thing. this time of year.. bring rain gear!

And expect the occasional thunderstorm/hail in the afternoon

Missouri Conditions:

Homepage - the Headhunter