The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Helena, MT 6/20-6/22

A friend and myself are going to be road tripping out to Helena next week to pick up a new drift boat. I'm looking for recommendations for good tent camping areas, and if you would be so kind, some good areas to fish. Chances are, we'll take the new drift boat onto the Missouri one day, but we also would like to get into a nice walk and wade area too. Anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Helena is fine by us.

As far as the fishing goes, I don't need any hotspots, just general ideas. Point me in the right direction, and I'll figure out the rest. Don't hesitate to send me a private message. If you can't offer any fishing tips, camping advice is definitely needed because I think we're going to need to make some reservations ASAP.

Any specific hatches that we should be prepared for? Certain flies that work well for you on both the Missouri, and other local rivers around there will be welcome too. We're both making our first trip out west specifically to fish so any help is welcome.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Helena, MT 6/20-6/22

Ted, that is awesome, sounds like a fun trip. You have to take the maiden voyage in your new boat on the Missouri. Do you hear me? ...HAVE TO!

I mean you will be right there, a few miles from one of the best fisheries anywhere, with a new drift boat!

On your way home, if you are taking I90, you could consider dropping S and floating the Big Horn. Then you'd have hit two of most productive tailwaters in the West.

PM sent re: wading streams...
fredaevans, bmfa and ted4887 like this.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:01 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

adipose skiff?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
adipose skiff?
New Hyde being brought up from Idaho Falls to a dealer there.

I actually wanted a Clacka, but finding a used one proved to be a tough task. For the money, this Hyde should serve me well, even if it isn't quite as nice as some of the Clacka boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt
Ted, that is awesome, sounds like a fun trip. You have to take the maiden voyage in your new boat on the Missouri. Do you hear me? ...HAVE TO!

I mean you will be right there, a few miles from one of the best fisheries anywhere, with a new drift boat!

On your way home, if you are taking I90, you could consider dropping S and floating the Big Horn. Then you'd have hit two of most productive tailwaters in the West.

PM sent re: wading streams...

Oh we WILL be floating the Missouri. I've been told flows are low, and obstructions almost non-existent. That's a good thing because this is my first drift boat, and I don't want to be on a raging torrent my first time out.

I'd thought about fishing the Big Horn as well. So many options, so little time!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ted: Sent you a PM.

Larry
ted4887 likes this.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM

mtdave is on a distinguished road

A trip down the Mighty Mo with your new boat then on to the Yellowstone for a quick bird float[pm me for more info] is what I would do. Then via Cooke hit the Lamar on your way to Fort Smith.....then....
ted4887 likes this.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave View Post
A trip down the Mighty Mo with your new boat then on to the Yellowstone for a quick bird float[pm me for more info] is what I would do. Then via Cooke hit the Lamar on your way to Fort Smith.....then....
lol.. this post should be about 4 pages long
ted4887 likes this.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 PM

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the generosity of the people on this forum, but I am. I'm really appreciative of all of the help that has been offered in an attempt to help make this trip a memorable one. I promise that it won't all be for nothing. Pictures will be posted next week for sure!
mcnerney, fredaevans and dean_mt like this.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ted: You are going to love that new drift boat, have a safe trip. Looking forward to your trip report.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

One other thing. this time of year.. bring rain gear!

And expect the occasional thunderstorm/hail in the afternoon

Missouri Conditions:

Homepage - the Headhunter