The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Northern Montana? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/322098-northern-montana.html)

lostnwilderness 06-12-2013 08:39 PM

Northern Montana?

Anyone up in the Glacier / Kalispel area? Looks like I will be taking my father up into that area in early September and was looking for some advice. Not looking for your favorite place just looking for some general good karma info :D

Thanks Everyone!!!

mtboiler 06-13-2013 09:31 PM

Re: Northern Montana?

The area should be fishing well in september. If you are going to hike lots of great places to hike. If you want to float the rivers should be on fire...Nfork, Sfork and Middle fork of the flathead. I would focus on those rivers and the park. that is where you will have the most success.

hansen919 06-26-2013 11:50 PM

fished with a guide service in the "Bob" twice in the last few years. heading out this August, used a guide service and rode horses in for about 25 miles and fished for a week. Too much fun, close to 100 fish per day. Camped right on the North fork of the Flathead. If you need more info let me know.

mridenour 06-27-2013 07:07 AM

I used to fish the Flathead from public access points just outside of Kalispell. Always had good luck wading those areas. It was pretty easy to find deep water just off a shallow gravel bar full of fish. It has been quite a few years since I fished that part of Montana though. I miss getting to go to Kalispell for several weeks out of the year. The company I used to work for was based there.

long bow 06-27-2013 03:16 PM

One of the best things about the Kalispell area for rivers is you can have success 5 min. out of town at any of the close fishing access sights. Depending on the time you have, hiking along those for about 5 minutes gets you to some great holes. Also, don't pass up the Swan River, which is a little smaller but still holds some decent cutthroat (again, good holes right around the access points). Throw any general attractor or foam throughout the day and be looking for the evening hatch to match and you should be set for success.

yonder 06-27-2013 07:37 PM

This thread has definitely "peaked" my interest.........thanks to the OP and others for posting.......I would like to combine a fishing trip with a tour of Glacier N.P....I need to do more research........if there are other opinions out there.....please chime in.....:)

kayakfishmontana 06-30-2013 03:15 PM

Montana has many great rivers, but this area in particular has the best combination of scenic vistas and some great fishing. Here is some info for you guys if you are thinking of making your way to MT.

Rivers
North fork is the largest tributary of the Flathead
The Middle Fork starts outside of the Great Bear Wilderness
South Fork begins deep in the Bob Marshall Wilderness
Water
Low in nutrient content
Clear and cold
Fish
Cutthroats 8-12
Spawning Bull Trout "it is illegal to intentionally fish for or keep a bull trout."
Gear
5 weight line
Caddis Dries
Stone Fly Dries
Stone fly nymphs
woolly buggers
Seasons
Spring: Late springtime has some fishing except during runoff.
Summer: The Summer is be best time for fly fishing the North Fork.
Fall: Early Fall can be good.

This is some general info, for more call David Brown at stump town anglers Whitefish Montana Fly Fishing Orvis Shop | Flyfishing Tackle | Fishing Guide or upland water adventures Upland Water Adventures - Home