The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Access Inquiry about the South Platte River

Hello Everyone;

hope the fishing has been good for all! Been going myself quite a bit since the temps warmed up (and before runoff, which is GREAT this year in CO). Fishing has been very consistent, and the trout look healthy and are displaying voracious appetites.

Today I went down to the Platte, despite the low flows (~60cfs below Cheesman). Didn't bother with Cheesman, so I decided to go down from Deckers to see if maybe Horse and Brush Creeks were contributing any additional water.

Well, if any additional water was helping, it wasn't evident; the water was super skinny, and trout were holding in the deep runs. I decided to fish some dry action (Caddis, BWO), and immediately was rewarded with 6 great looking and sizable rainbows in about an hour. Afterwards, I waited out some good thunderstorms. I called it quits early, to give the fish a break, but also the weather wasn't getting any better.

OK, so to get to my question regarding access downstream, there's a particular spot that I am curious about that appears to be public, but may in fact, be on private property. The spot is about 5 miles downriver from Deckers, right at the junction of Highway 67 and South Platte River Road.
See on Google Maps: 39.308688, -105.197209 to Deckers, CO - Google Maps

It appears that there is public access strip immediately north of a fenceline (if you trun on imagery, you can clearly see it) of the private land immedately south, but there is a sign on the north side of the river that states it is private - yet, I've seen fishermen fishing there, about 500 feet upstream from the bridge.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if you've been there, you know it. Thanks if you know anything about it!!!

Tight Lines
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Access Inquiry about the South Platte River

I think I know where you are talking about, but don't know the answer. If no one here has an answer, I'd stop in at the fly shop in Deckers and ask them if they know. Home - Flies & Lies

Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Yeah, I could hit up the boys in the shop. Thought I'd ask here too. If it is private we all need to know. Thanks Larry.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM

An update on this: in the last month, Denver Water, who owns the 'rights' to the land in question, has allegedly put up a private property sign on the south side of the bridge. This is all according to the Flies and Lies staff.

I was down there yesterday and looked hard for the sign, but did not see it on the south side, but it very could be hidden in the tall willows. The sign on the north side next to hwy 67 junction is still there, and appears to be fairly new.

So, the message is clear: don't fish upstream from the bridge.

On a different note, This lovely 23" rainbow specimen ate my golden stone pattern near Trumbull:
Click the image to open in full size.

Have fun out there!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrphoto View Post
An update on this: in the last month, Denver Water, who owns the 'rights' to the land in question, has allegedly put up a private property sign on the south side of the bridge. This is all according to the Flies and Lies staff.

I was down there yesterday and looked hard for the sign, but did not see it on the south side, but it very could be hidden in the tall willows. The sign on the north side next to hwy 67 junction is still there, and appears to be fairly new.

So, the message is clear: don't fish upstream from the bridge.

On a different note, This lovely 23" rainbow specimen ate my golden stone pattern near Trumbull:
Click the image to open in full size.

Have fun out there!
Amazing fish, great shot