The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default An Afternoon on the Green River

I got a chance to get out and do some fishing this afternoon and made a bee line to the Green below Fontenelle Reservoir seeing how the rivers here in town are high and muddy. Right off the bat I started hooking into fish, but the strange thing was that they were mostly in the 12-14" range which is really strange for down there. I had read an article in the Wyoming Game and Fish magazine a number of years ago and it said the reason that there were on small fish is that the Burbot were eating all the young fish. Now I'm wondering if Game and Fish has got a handle on the burbot. Here are a few of the fish I landed this afternoon:
Click the image to open in full size.

I had this guy land on my sleeve, that was a first, I have never seen Cicada's below Fontenelle Reservoir before. They are pretty common below Flaming Gorge.
imxer, fysh, jpbfly and 4 others like this.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Afternoon on the Green River

We need to meet up there again soon Larry. I'll bring the tomato's!

Love to fish that water, just wish shuttles were easier to arrange.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

John,Larry didn't tell he uses a fishing dog now...that's why he catches so many fish

Last edited by jpbfly; 06-18-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
We need to meet up there again soon Larry. I'll bring the tomato's!

Love to fish that water, just wish shuttles were easier to arrange.
John

I know what you mean, that is why I was wading instead of floating. I saw two different prams float by each had a bike in the back obviously for the shuttle. Wyoming Game and Fish must have stocked the river as there were lots of 12-14" rainbows to be caught, which I have never run into in the past.
Mater sandwiches sound great! I got a small metal framed greenhouse for my tomatos this year, but the spring winds sure have been putting the hurt on it, sure glad I used those green metal fence posts to anchor it to the ground.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Looks like an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon. Good fishing.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Looks like an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon. Good fishing.
Thanks. That section of the Green below Fontenelle would be a great place for a family float as it has no rapids and really no places to get into any kind of trouble, but there is no shuttle. Seems kind of strange since the convenience store rents drift boats, but they won't shuttle. Also there is free camping at the two campgrounds.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome, brother! Glad you had such a great day. I hope you fished that drop-off I told you about.

Kelly
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Your welcome, brother! Glad you had such a great day. I hope you fished that drop-off I told you about.

Kelly
Kelly: Thanks again for the great tip! Sent you a PM.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Looks like you had a good day nice pics.