The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Uncompahgre River

I will be fishing the Uncompahgre in about a week. I see some reports that say midges and BWO's are in along with a few wooly buggers. Since I am still new to all this, would it be a good idea to put a wooly bugger on and then have a midge hanging off of it or should I just fish with the midges or with just the wooly bugger?

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Uncompahgre River

Anybody???

Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

A bugger with a midge trailer would be a good bet when dead drifting. If you are fishing the bugger actively, which is how I most often fish it, it's probably best to leave the trailer off and not deal with the issues that arise.

whht section on the Unc? Pa-Co? Private nearer to Montrose? Above The res?

Zebra midge drifted deep in the top of the pools where the water spills in from above is a sure bet for a larger fish. Make sure it gets down quick as those fish tuck up in there to stay out of harms way.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

No try at a left hand turn here, but the river name is totally new to me. Where's it at?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Ridgway State Park, U.S. 550, Ridgway, CO

Search that on google maps. It flows in and out of the res.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Gottcha, off to Google Earth and a 'fly by.' Love that addition to the service.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
A bugger with a midge trailer would be a good bet when dead drifting. If you are fishing the bugger actively, which is how I most often fish it, it's probably best to leave the trailer off and not deal with the issues that arise.

whht section on the Unc? Pa-Co? Private nearer to Montrose? Above The res?

Zebra midge drifted deep in the top of the pools where the water spills in from above is a sure bet for a larger fish. Make sure it gets down quick as those fish tuck up in there to stay out of harms way.
Yes it will be right there at the pa-co. We are camping there for a week! Lot's of fishing to do while I'm there Any other suggestions on what flies to use down there? Sizes? What size bugger should I use with a 5x tippet?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM

We had a great trip to Ouray. I was able to fly fish about everyday. The best fly was the Elk Hair Caddis. I was catching fish like crazy. My only thing is, what am I doing wrong to not catch big fish? The biggest fish I caught was about 10-13 inches long and about 1.5lbs, maybe 2lbs. I just can't seem to get the bigger fish to bite anything. I think I was using a size 10 elk hair caddis on 5x tippet and a small green foam indicator (which a lot of the fish wanted to hit).

Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 PM

navezgane will become famous soon enough

The paco is a heavily fished river, even tho it does have some big fish in it it gets hit hard all year round being a totally release tail water. There are some deep places in that stretch that the bigger fish usually take refuge when the pressure comes on. Did you see any of the big cutts when you were there?

Last edited by navezgane; 07-08-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 AM

Yes I did, I even tried to walk down stream to places that wouldn't be fished as much since it was harder to get to. But I didn't really mean this question just for this river. Every river I have been to, I can't get big fish.