The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming Fly Fishing

Well the winds have finally subsided, I thought I was living in a wind tunnel for the past couple of days. Yesterday I did a float on one of the local rivers. I had no real idea of the float distance (upwards of 10 miles or more), so just to be safe I decided to leave the house by 5:30 and get on the water early in case those heavy winds come roaring back in the afternoon.
I started off nymphing, but that didn't work well as the water levels are already pretty low and sitting low in the pontoon boat makes it harder to see when the shallow water is approaching, so I switched to a dry/dropper rig and that worked much better and the fish liked that combo better also. I must have had an interesting dry fly pattern on as the swallows were swooping in and trying to pick it off the water, pretty interesting to watch....wish I would have been able to take a photo of the one bird that actually picked it off the water. I had never been on this upper section of the river, but at 11:30 I spotted a familiar landmark and realized I was in deep trouble. Last year I had done a guided float started (at 8:30 am) at that point on the river and we took out around 4:30 (my plan for this trip, so now I realize I'm 3 hours behind schedule), so I decide that I had better change up the fishing approach and decide to row, row, row and only stop at the primo looking spots and throw streamers for a few casts and move on. I put the dry fly rig away and really hit the oars. All those hours in the gym paid off yesterday, lately at the gym I have been using their rowing machine, set it at maximum resistance and do 5,000 meters in under 25 minutes. The machine as a screen with a 500 meter split so if you can keep it at 2:30 minutes or under you can make the goal ok, still pretty hard work especially at my age.
It turned out to be a beautiful day and the wind didn't rear it's head until about 2 pm and even then it was an on again, off again kind of wind so really wasn't much of a factor except of course when rowing........does it ever blow downstream? Now that I have floated this section I have a better idea of how to manage my time and some of the better fishing spots to hit.......I have a feeling this is going to be a great summer fly fishing in Wyoming!

Click the image to open in full size.

What's left of one of my streamers! Never had that happen to me before, I've had hooks fail but never had all the material stripped off like that. I guess that guy was hungry.
A shot of the river, just a gorgeous little stream to float and fly fish.

My best fish to the net! Lost a couple larger fish, but that is what brings a guy back for more!
I think this is the same fish in the net.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming Fly Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
.I have a feeling this is going to be a great summer fly fishing in Wyoming!
Think....you're right Larry
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

what??? Wind in Wyoming.... LOL Great report thanks for sharing, nice fish.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

So I'm watching this HD channel on my TV and they've got a 30 minute program on rivers and they show these spectacular scenes of great rivers in the world including the Nile & Amazon. Finally they get to the US and show the Gallatin, and wow, super views as it was all obviously shot from a chopper. OK then they get to the Hoback River in Stinking Springs, WY and I thought I bet that guy from Pinedale, WY over on the Fishing Forum knows all about that stream ? Probably knows how well it fishes, hell he probably fishs it on a regular basis ?
BTW, thanks for the nice pics Mcnerney.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

What a great looking piece of water Larry! Kudos for your rowing prowess...That can gas a guy in a hurry.

We are going to be late on our pilgrimage up to your neck of the woods this year but I am chomping at the bit!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 AM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Would that by any chance be the New Fork? Looks a bit small to be the Green.

Chris
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Wow! Well done, Larry!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Larry, does a day go by that you don't fish ? I really wish I had water like that closer to home. I ventured up to one of my favorite tiny Nebraska streams yesterday and had a phenomenal day. That buff you sent me came in handy. I'll post some pictures some time tomorrow.

-Chase
Old 06-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
Larry, does a day go by that you don't fish ? I really wish I had water like that closer to home. I ventured up to one of my favorite tiny Nebraska streams yesterday and had a phenomenal day. That buff you sent me came in handy. I'll post some pictures some time tomorrow.

-Chase
Chase: Good to hear that you received the buff, I figured you would get a lot more use out of it than I would. I wish it were true, I'm always thinking I need to fish MORE! In reality I think JP takes the prize for fishing the most. Looking forward to seeing your fishing report!

Chase: I forgot to add, it doesn't hurt to be retired...........sure makes it easier to find the time to wet a line instead of having to wait for weekends.

Last edited by mcnerney; 06-24-2013 at 10:01 AM.