The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By branjg
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about
Default Fish and Fires

Havent posted anything new for a while so I thought I would share this. I just returned from a road trip with the family in which part of it was spent near Creede/Southfork Colorado. Where we stayed was just ending a pretty good salmon fly hatch on the Rio Grande and the hoppers where good on all the small streams.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

We were forced to leave early because of wildfires heading in our direction and the two towns being evacuated.

To the Southwest

To the Northwest

It was an awesome vacation in any event and I cant say enough about the guest ranch we stayed at. (willing to share if no one has any issues with it) We are all hoping they are able to stay clear of the approaching fires.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish and Fires

Go for the recommendation JB; nothing makes a better trip than saying, as you're booking your trip: "Several people recommended your place." Looks like you had an amazing trip.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:22 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

NICE fish pics. Some of the South Fork fire pics around, and yours, are what I imagine looking into hell would look like.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful fish and scenery despite the fires! Colorado has been getting hit hard by fires both this year and last. Can you take some more pics of that hopper fly? It looks sweet!

-Chase
Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Spectacular stuff right there! I really love that area.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JB: Excellent report, photos and gorgeous fish! Boy those fires look wicked.
Go ahead and let us know the guest ranch you were staying at, nothing wrong with that.
LLiving in Ignacio you must call the San Juan your home water.
lacanadio likes this.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

We were on the Conejos Thursday evening to Sunday. While the smoke didn't make it down there, it was certainly visible and ominous. And the plume was visible from Santa Fe yesterday - a good 120 miles or so away.

Glad you were able to get some fishing in before having to leave. Nice pics.

Bob
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

The ranch is the Phipps La Garita Ranch, and it has some of the best waters I have ever been able to fish. Bar none. It's not fancy and is more or less a do it yourself kinda thing, but my whole family had an excellent time. The fires were about six or seven miles away when we left out of there, and as far as I know there have been no structures burned. I'll be wishing the best for all the residents of the valley.

The fly in the picture, I never did know the name. I just go into local shops and try and buy patterns recommended. I would take more pictures but I gave all I had left of the salmon flies to the ranch manager, there's no where to use them near me and I always like to leave them with someone who will.