The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mtboiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default Breckenridge area fly fishing

We've scheduled family vacation the first week of August in Breckenridge, so now it's time to scope out fishing options. We're staying on the south side of Breck, about 5 miles south.

I know about the Blue River below Dillon, but what about the headwaters south of Breck? Are there brooke trout there, or any fish at all?

Now that I have a float tube, I really want to get on an alpine lake for some mid-afternoon dry fly action. Anyone fished Blue Lake? Are there any lakes that are a reasonable hike (no more than 2 miles)?

I know there's a lot of other options, but since we're also meeting my sister and her family, I'm not sure I'll have time to drive for an hour or hire a guide for a day. So any local knowledge around Breck would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 AM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Breckenridge area fly fishing

Ok, been a while since I lived in Summit county but I can get you started. Blue lakes are good fishing but a bit windy. Float tube would be a big help. South of Breck is Blue River, the town....which has special regs to fish the river. I think you have to be a resident to fish the river, might check with who you are renting from because I do not think renting qualifies. Once you are past Blue River it is mostly private land. Fishing in town or north of breck on the falls should be decent as well. You can park at the Elementary school and walk right to the river.

Your best bet is to run in and talk to Jackson at Mountain Anglers.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another thread about fishing in Breckenridge that you might find interesting:
Summit County CO

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

You can access the Blue at the mall in Silverthorne. I fished it when I was just getting started and didn't know what I was doing, but I've heard it's a pretty good spot.