The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dumb question about drift boats

Ok, so here is something I have been wondering about for a while now. All the time I see two or three guys unload a drift boat into the water and head down river. After you float ten miles, how do you get the trailer down to the take out point? Hitch hike? I know this is a silly question, but honestly I don't know.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM

i suck at fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dumb question about drift boats

Alot of fly shops do a shuttle services ( they take your car to the take-out). Or you can drop a car at the take-out.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is 'the other guys.' One drops his car/truck off at the pull out and off to the 'put in.' Do the float to the pull out and (if only two of you, a bit of driving back and forth) two and both head back up stream.

One other in the boat a bit of driving back and 'froth.' Two both go and bring both vech. back. Worst case is the shuttle (have TWO SETS of keys!!)

End game is you don't want to leave your boat/gear unintended (couldn't resist the bad pun) at the pull out. Very old story but know of one fellow who did I'll do a hike/thumb ride back and back at the pull out there was no boat, no gear, no nuttin.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

When we fish the Green below Fontenelle Reservoir, you have to provide your own shuttle, as it is pretty remote area and there are no fly shops. There is an old run down convenience store that rents drift boats, but they won't do shuttles. So you either bring two cars, a bicycle or small dirt bike. Last time I was down there I saw two skiffs floating the river with bikes tucked in the back. That is the main reason that when I go down there by myself, I hardley ever take the drift boat, instead I opt to wade.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
Ok, so here is something I have been wondering about for a while now. All the time I see two or three guys unload a drift boat into the water and head down river. After you float ten miles, how do you get the trailer down to the take out point? Hitch hike? I know this is a silly question, but honestly I don't know.
Go watch "Deliverance", that'll give you a demo. And hope & prey you don't encounter any "locals" like the ones in that flic.
(Sorry, little levity there, couldn't help it.)
mcnerney, yonder and quijibo like this.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM

pb_colorado is on a distinguished road

I got sick of hitching on our shuttles, so I put a small motorcycle on the front of my truck. I got the idea from an RV that I saw that had a small moped on the front in a similar manner, and I thought it would work on my truck. I installed a front receiver hitch and bought a m/c carrier, and it has worked great for the last two seasons. I have seen a few other rafters doing the same here in Colorado, and the biggest limitation is your vehicle (make sure it will take the weight of the bike on the front). I have also seen a number of folks have the m/c carrier integrated into their trailer, so the raft and m/c are both on the trailer.

If I pass the take out on the way to the put in, I drop the m/c and leave the truck/trailer empty at the put in. If I arrive at the put in first, I unload the raft and gear and then drive to the take out, and leave the empty trailer there to ride the m/c back to the put in. We also consider the time we will likely take off the river - if it will be late and getting dark, I always try to have the empty trailer at the take out so we can load up while there is still a little light.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

So am I the only one that rows back to the put in point?
Hardyreels, yonder and random user like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_colorado View Post
I got sick of hitching on our shuttles, so I put a small motorcycle on the front of my truck. I got the idea from an RV that I saw that had a small moped on the front in a similar manner, and I thought it would work on my truck. I installed a front receiver hitch and bought a m/c carrier, and it has worked great for the last two seasons. I have seen a few other rafters doing the same here in Colorado, and the biggest limitation is your vehicle (make sure it will take the weight of the bike on the front). I have also seen a number of folks have the m/c carrier integrated into their trailer, so the raft and m/c are both on the trailer.

If I pass the take out on the way to the put in, I drop the m/c and leave the truck/trailer empty at the put in. If I arrive at the put in first, I unload the raft and gear and then drive to the take out, and leave the empty trailer there to ride the m/c back to the put in. We also consider the time we will likely take off the river - if it will be late and getting dark, I always try to have the empty trailer at the take out so we can load up while there is still a little light.

Click the image to open in full size.
Sweet setup! I saw something like that on the Green below Fontenelle reservoir one year, he had integrated the m/c carrier into the front of the boat trailer (as you mentioned). I thought having the m/c carrier setup to be really a great idea, especially down there where no one does shuttles.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
So what type of boat are you using that you can physically row back up stream, surly not a drift boat or raft?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post

So what type of boat are you using that you can physically row back up stream, surly not a drift boat or raft?
I believe a Keelboat could make it back up to the put in. At least they did in 1804

"The food alone is worth the trip"
Old 07-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
Hey Larry, I think Champ is kidding...............right? You are, right

Larry mentioned bicycles; I used to carry my Trek Y3 in the boat with me back east and then ride it back to my truck when I was completely alone on Big Pine Creek. if you choose this method, I wouldn't float more than 15 miles at a time. After a long day floating and wading the last thing you need is a 22 mile bike ride in hilly country, how do I know this......

Ard
mcnerney and yonder like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;