The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 PM

jmc5000 is on a distinguished road
Default Madison Valley or Gallatin Valley help needed

Hello,

Planning a trip to MT for the first week of Sept and prefer to wade smaller streams vs floating the larger ones. Spent a week out in the Paradise Valley area a couple of years ago and floated the Yellowstone and hit Armstrong's as well as Slough Cr in the Park. I could repeat this trip staying around Emigrant but wouldn't mind hitting some smaller streams and doing more wade-in fishing and am wondering if the Madison Valley presents more of this kind of water? Not opposed to using a guide for a day or two so if anyone has a suggestion of one that likes to wade I'm open to that for sure. The other factor is to limit the amount of driving to maximize time on the water. Put some miles on when stayed in Paradise Valley to get to the boulder and West Boulder and didn't get it right and felt like it was just too much driving. Maybe we passed right by good water and didn't know it...

Any how, looking for any advise one cares to offer even if just pointing to some good reference material. Have one of the recommended books (cant remember title but breaks the state up by watersheds).

Thanks much,

J
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Madison Valley or Gallatin Valley help needed

I fished the Gallatin last year for a few days. There is a lot of good wading very close to Bozeman. It was late July and caught browns and rainbows on BH Prince Nymphs, BH Pheasant Tails and San Juan Worms. Lots of access points and parking.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:34 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Try this:

The Rivers of Montana : Detailed Fly Fishing Information, Photographs, Maps & River Flows

PT/TB
yonder likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the link. Very useful. Going to call a few shops as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

If you stay in West Yellowstone, it's twenty minutes to prime water on either the Gallatin or the Madison, and less than that to the Gibbon and Firehole.

Chris
Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Are you looking for small.. or just nice and wade-able? Some of the larger streams, like the Madison are very wader friendly, the Gallatin is probably one of the best wading rivers I've ever seen
shortyb likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM

I ended up booking a place near Emigrant for 1st week of September. I know it's not prime time but, it's the soonest I can travel due to work schedule and I am somewhat familiar with that area. Definitely do not need to keep to small streams rather just want to hit some good, wade-able water. The location provides pretty decent access to the Park and could get to the Gallatin with not spending too much time in the car. Any pointers to which sections of the Gallatin are productive for wade-in are appreciated. Will definitely hit the Park as well. Have the John Holt East guide which should be helpful.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

First week in Sept is an excellent time to hit the park near Emigrant. Slough Creek, Lamar River, and Soda Butte Creek should be prime and the worst of the crowds will be gone.

The Gallatin is easy fishing from the first time you see it on Hwy 191 in the park all the way down to Gallatin Gateway. I like to fish the Gallatin in the park because the cobble rocks are small and easier to negotiate for this 69 year old geezer than the bigger boulders in the canyon below the park.

But for you young studs, that should not make any difference.

Have fun, and let us know how it went.

Chris
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the park. I do think we will spend a few days fishing there. We're 40+ yrs young but do have our limits! There is a stream named Big Creek below the house we are staying in but I have not fished it before. Not sure what the water levels are like late summer there but hopefully it will be an option as well for something quick. Will be tying up hoppers, beetles, and crickets ahead of time. A couple of years ago on Slough during same week, had trouble matching what I think was a grey drake hatch in second meadow in a deep section. Scores of cutthroat rising and nothing would touch what I was throwing. Don't recall what I had - a few patterns that I picked up in Gardiner, but was frustrating to say the least but only for that section as we had excellent fishing on terrestrials just about everywhere else. Any ideas on productive emerger patterns aside from PMDs for Slough?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Check with Park's Fly Shop in Gardiner for best flies on Slough Creek or call Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. They won't do ya wrong.

Chris