The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By jslo
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By chased
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about
Default Nice day on the Big Thompson

Yesterday I decided to get some fishing in before the 4th craziness descends on local waters. I had heard some ok things about the North Fork of the Big Thompson from time to time and so I decided to give it a shot. I wasn't super impressed. ALOT of barb wire private land i.e. no trespassing. I did find a few little stretches but the river is so tiny, and I stayed about 10 minutes- caught a small brown, and left back down past Drake for some Big T action.

I had a really nice hour and a half on the Big T, which is NOT my favorite fishery (too close to the road, crowded, etc). One Rainbow I caught was a legit hog. Actually, it's the biggest fish I have ever caught on the Big T without question. Not exactly sure how long the fish was, but when I went to net him he was lengthwise at the length of the net (not across) and he kinda arched his back away from the net and laid across longer than the opening of my net!!! I measured the net when I got home and it's 16 inches...so that's a pretty nice Big T Rainbow if he was in the 16+ inch range. I'd guess 17-18 inches. He bought on a #14 BWO dry...Here's a few pics. Big 'bow is the last 2 pics!

Pretty Brown..
Click the image to open in full size.

Obligatory gear shot lol

Nice Rainbow!

Set Free...wish I had a tape measure!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice day on the Big Thompson

Nice fish! Yesterday was a good day to be standing in cold water
jslo likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice, congrats on the great looking trout!
It never ceases to amaze me how the Big T keeps putting out nice trout, especially when you realize it runs right along the roadway leading into a National Park.
jslo likes this.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Bigger fish than I have ever caught from the Big Thompson! I've fished it a few times going up the canyon and did alright. Like you, I don't like fishing the Big T very often because it gets a lot of pressure and is a huge tourist attraction being right on the side of the road.
jslo likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Did a half day guided trip (group-on) on the Big T last year. Guide took us to a small stretch of private water and I was surprised by how many nice fish there were. Road noise isn't my favorite though.
jslo likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Probably gonna hit the Big T sometime this week.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

Hope it goes well! I'll probably be up in NattyRocky sometime this week...time for some high country lakes